Order in which items are machined

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
icestation2

Order in which items are machined

Post by icestation2 »

I'm machining a number of small items from 0.7 mm laminate, all to the same depth and using the same tool, and require the items to be machining in a particular order so that the machining progresses across the sheet. I select all of the items on screen and create one toolpath but find that quite often the software machines the items out of order. What determines in the software what is the machining order? It seems to be somewhat down to the order in which the items were initially drawn in CorelDraw.

Ideally, I need a way to select the order by clicking on something in the software. Having to create a separate toolpath for every item to ensure that the router doesn't backtrack to a part of the laminate where items have already been machined all around takes too long. I'm using VCarve Pro V5.5.

Martin Reid
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Shopbot

Re: Order in which items are machined

Post by Martin Reid »

Dear 'icestation2'

You can adjust the 'Vector Selection Order' in the [Order] tab of the 2D profile toolpath dialogue. When you are machining delicate items like 0.7mm laminate you may want to set 'use vector start points' to help optimise your cutting. You can change the 'start node' in node editing, right click 'make start point'. occasionally you may want to insert a point at a particular place and make that the start point.

Sincerely and in good faith
Martin Reid
Attachments
Vector selection order
Vector selection order

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

VCarve 5.5 doesn't have that extended facility from what I remember.

It it doesn't then you should be able to use check the "Use Vector Selection Order" check box on the profile toolpath. To select the vectors in the order you would like you hold down the Shift key and click on each vector in turn.

Martin Reid
Vectric Apprentice

Post by Martin Reid »

Dear All

Just for clarification, the image above 'Vector Selection Order' is take from Partworks V3.5 which I am sure is the same as VCarve V3.5.

As always - in good faith
Martin

icestation2

Post by icestation2 »

Unfortunately, my version doesn't have the Vector Selection Order feature. Adrian, I can't see any Use Vector Selection Order check box either. I take it that holding down the shift key and clicking on the separate vectors won't do anything unless the check box that you mentioned is clicked. Looks like I don't have that particular check box. Is there a shortcut key selection to achieve the same thing?

Adrian
Vectric Archimage

Post by Adrian »

Have you checked the "Show advanced toolpath options" at the top of the profile toolpath dialog? Without that being checked the tabs that Martin refers to won't be displayed in the toolpath dialog.

Martin Reid
Vectric Apprentice

Post by Martin Reid »

Version 9 Toolpaths Dialogue
Version 9 Toolpaths Dialogue
Version 3.5 Dialogue
Version 3.5 Dialogue
Dear All

That's always going to be a problem looking back at legacy versions of software and remembering which features were included.

On version 3.5 the 'Show advanced toolpath options' was not included, but Adrian you may be right that it was by version 5.

Icestation2 I am sure the 'vector selection order is avaible in version 5 as it is already included in the earlier 3.5 - look for [Tabs] [Leads] [Ramps] [Order] [Corners] and choose [Order] - and then you are right select you first vector to cut then hold down shift as you select the others in order.

Again sincerely and in good faith
Martin

The Vesion 9 Toolpath dialogue show the 'Show advanced toolpath options' check box
The version 3.5 dosn't offer this option but still has the [Order] tab

Adrian
Vectric Archimage

Post by Adrian »

Martin, I'm not convinced that Partworks 3.5 and VCarve 5.5 are the same version. Partworks 3.5 was released in November 2011 but VCarve 5.5 was released in December 2009. I think PW 3.5 is actually VCarve 6.5 as that was released in November 2011 as well.

Martin Reid
Vectric Apprentice

Post by Martin Reid »

Thanks Adrian - good knowledge. That really complicates the issue.

Icestaion2 all I can suggest now is if anyone following this thread has a PDF of the Manual for VCarve 5.5 they may be able to let you have a copy.

There are some 'whats new in' PDFs on vectric site below

http://www.vectric.com/media/docs/produ ... ts_New.pdf

http://www.vectric.com/media/docs/produ ... ts_New.pdf

Martin.

PS... RTFM