Vcarve Inlay Issue

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
Kle777levi
Model of CNC Machine: CNCRouterParts 48x48

Vcarve Inlay Issue

Post by Kle777levi »

Hello! I've done quite a few VCARVE inlays in the past that have turned out pretty nice. I had to take a break from vcarve inlay for a while and now that I've come back to it I can't seem to get it right. I've looked over may tutorials and such in the last few days and nothing is helping. I even went back to the original tutorial I learned the technique from( and this was unsuccessful.

My inlays used to be tight and have gluegap and a blade gap. now they have none of these things. I'm confused.

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: -CarveWright CNC -ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha

Re: Vcarve Inlay Issue

Post by mtylerfl »

Can you post your files so we can see if you made any mistakes in the layout and/or toolpaths?
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC
-ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha CNC

Kle777levi

Post by Kle777levi »

I apologize for posting this and then leaving for the weekend. Thought I would be able to mine a few ideas for Monday, and forgot to upload the files. Tomorrow morning bright and early I'll post the file Thanks.

Paul Z
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: shopbot PRT Alpha 96x48

Post by Paul Z »

From your brief description, I'd suggest checking that the angle of your v bit is correct. As was mentioned before, an image of the problem would be most useful.

Paul Z

Kle777levi

Post by Kle777levi »

Ok, here is my CRV file I'm working with.
Attachments
StarInlay.crv
(210 KiB) Downloaded 128 times

Kle777levi

Post by Kle777levi »

Paul Z wrote:From your brief description, I'd suggest checking that the angle of your v bit is correct. As was mentioned before, an image of the problem would be most useful.

Paul Z
Meaning I'm telling Vcarve I'm using one angle, but a totally different one is in the machine?

FixitMike
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shark Pro Plus (retired)

Post by FixitMike »

In my personal opinion, the start depth of the male should be closer to the flat depth of the female. The difference is the empty space under the inlay when they are together. If the female flat depth is .2, I prefer a male start depth closer to .16 or .17. Here's my picture that shows how it works.
VCarve Inlay.png
Good judgement comes from experience.
Experience comes from bad judgement.

Lowell Sundermann
Model of CNC Machine: ChinaCNCZone Model CNC6040

Post by Lowell Sundermann »

I am having a similar problem with v-carving inlay. I am very new at this so I may make some mistakes with terminology. I am doing the flower clock project. For the pockets I have set the start depth at D=0 and the flat depth at F=.2. For the plugs I have set the start depth at D=.1 and the flat depth at F=.1. However the parts do not interfere as I expect they should. The pockets are larger than the design dimensions which does not seem right. The base of the plug looks correct being ~.050" larger than the design dimension. I am using a 60deg v-bit. Depth of pockets and height of plug are correct at .200" Any suggestions of what I need to do differently. Lowell

Bill_L
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha

Post by Bill_L »

Your last post indicates that you are using a 60 degree V-bit. Your file however is toolpathed using a 30 degree bit. This might be causing your problem.

Bill

Lowell Sundermann
Model of CNC Machine: ChinaCNCZone Model CNC6040

Post by Lowell Sundermann »

Bill,
You may have two apprentices confused. I have not sent my file and I know I am using a 60deg v-bit and that is what is called out in my toolpath. Also, my plug looks to be okay. The pocket is not.
Just to keep the record "straight".
keep thinking,
thanks,
Lowell

Bill_L
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha

Post by Bill_L »

Sorry about that. I did get the posts confused.

Bill