edgelit signs

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
Chris Hawks
Model of CNC Machine: home made

Re: edgelit signs

Post by Chris Hawks »

dwilli9013 wrote:
Chris Hawks wrote:Well that didn't work either. I changed the 90deg to a 45deg in the toolpath. I did a outline of a "H" first then went back and crossed hatched the "H". While watching my machine engrave the "H" it would keep the cross hatch lines perfectly inside and up against my profile line but when it went to do it's last profile line it goes outside the first profile line. The thing is it does a square perfectly. :?
Take a look at the endplay in your dragbit tube compared to the tip itself.
Well that's what I thought on my first bit that I purchased so I bought another one from Wigget Works which was 200.00 and did the same thing. Like I was saying it's weird. I can do an outline with the quick engrave tool path and then go back and do a cross hatch and it will stay perfectly with the outline, but after it hatches it wants to do another outline which is slightly off from the 1st outline. Looks like to me the second outline run should follow the first outline, but it will hatch fill perfectly up to the outer line. IDK

Chris Hawks

Post by Chris Hawks »

Well here is proof that in the quick engrave toolpath if you do a "outline" only you get the bottom "H" and if you do a "Hatch" then the top "H" is what you get. 2 total different "H". So the one on the bottom I can "Hatch" up to and the top one leaves space in the outline area. I tested each outline "H" for accuracy. I ran the outlines 5 times each just to make sure it would hit it's mark and it does. I don't know why I would get 2 different types of "H". It has to be in the software itself. I even went to do a "Profile" toolpath and profiled just the outside of a "H" and it makes one just like the top "H" you see in the photo. That's why i'm having problems with profiling around a letter but not a square. Can anyone crack that code. LOL
20180302_150748.jpg

LittleGreyMan
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 3 axis small size machine

Post by LittleGreyMan »

Chris,

That's a proof of something going wrong, but I'm 99.999% sure it's not the software.

I just double checked and I get the same results with outline and fill+hatch options. Both are correct. BTW, how can you select the hatch options and only get the profile? It's possible but requires tricking the software.

In your 2D view, check the "show 2D previews" and uncheck the "Solid" check boxes. Display both toolpaths for the H.

You should see they exactly match your vectors. If not, please provide a test file with the problem or screenshots of the 2D view and of the toolpath parameters.

If everything is OK, check you selected the right post processor, check your control software settings and check your machine.
Best regards

Didier

W7 - Aspire 8.517

Chris Hawks

Post by Chris Hawks »

LittleGreyMan wrote:Chris,

That's a proof of something going wrong, but I'm 99.999% sure it's not the software.

I just double checked and I get the same results with outline and fill+hatch options. Both are correct. BTW, how can you select the hatch options and only get the profile? It's possible but requires tricking the software.

In your 2D view, check the "show 2D previews" and uncheck the "Solid" check boxes. Display both toolpaths for the H.

You should see they exactly match your vectors. If not, please provide a test file with the problem or screenshots of the 2D view and of the toolpath parameters.

If everything is OK, check you selected the right post processor, check your control software settings and check your machine.
To get the outline without doing the hatch I just go thru the G code and find where it satrs to profile and start there. My processor is the (cnc usb in). I have tried the a "Profile" toolpath instead of the Quick Engrave toolpath and it gives me the same "H" like the one on top. So until I can find the problem I will have to use a Profile toolpath instead of the Quick engrave because I can tell it not to profile in the Profile toolpath. I can make 2 programs in the Profile toolpath 1 will raster at 45deg and do another toolpath and raster with a -45deg to get my hatch. So with the quick engrave toolpath, everything looks good until the end and it does the profile (steps out away from the "H") needs to come in closer. Like I said I tried a plain 1" square and it does perfect. :roll:

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

Can you post the .crv file as LGM has mentioned, the forum experts will tell you that it helps them to figure out problems :lol: :lol:

What does the toolpath preview look like when you run it? Does it look as you would expect or is there the gap you are seeing when you engrave ?
Could it be that the bit you are using won't fit properly inside the serifs on the H you are using ?
An engraving bit with a flat at the bottom will give you a different result to a v bit that comes to a point, can't remember how a drag bit is set up :oops: not done many edgelit panels & most of the ones I have done were a 3D model cut with a tapered ball nose :lol: :lol:
Not actually tried the hatch myself so no practical experiences to share :lol: :lol:

Chris Hawks

Post by Chris Hawks »

Hi Martin. No there are no gaps in the preview. The preview shows the diamond drag bit fitting in all the little nooks and cranneys, line width is set @ .001. The hatch marks will go right up to the profile lines on the bottom "H" like it should but not the top "H". The bottom "H" was made just doing a outline path and the top one was made doing a hatch path but I skipped through the G Code and went straight to the profiling line so i could compare the 2 "H" side by side, as you can tell they are different. if you go to the profile toolpath and do a "profile first" before rastering it will give you the same "H" style like the one on top. So neither profile lines from "quick engrave" or "Profile" toolpaths will work for me because they make the same "H" , I need the bottom one to make things right. Thats why I may just do the "profile" toolpath and raster with a 45deg angle and a -45 deg angle and select with no profile lines. I will try and post a crv file for you guys.

LGM
You said quote. "I just double checked and I get the same results with outline and fill+hatch options. Both are correct." So are you saying you get 2 of the same style "H" when you do just a outline and when you do a hatch with a outline? I really thought maybe i was loosing steps but i ran the program for each "H" 5 times and there is no variance in the lines so the machine is dead on.
Thanks to all you guys for helping me with this matter and I will try and post a crv file.

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

I don't have the software on this machine Chris so can't check but when you say the profile toolpath won't work for you have you tried toolpathing outside, on & inside the line ? You may also be able to use an offset of some value to give the desired effect but that will probably take some experimenting.
Have you checked the angle of the drag bit to make sure it is accurate ?

LittleGreyMan
Vectric Wizard

Post by LittleGreyMan »

Chris Hawks wrote:So are you saying you get 2 of the same style "H" when you do just a outline and when you do a hatch with a outline?
Yes. And you should see the 2 outlines toolpaths are right on the vectors. If not, I'm curious to see the Vcarve file.
Best regards

Didier

W7 - Aspire 8.517

Chris Hawks

Post by Chris Hawks »

martin54 wrote:I don't have the software on this machine Chris so can't check but when you say the profile toolpath won't work for you have you tried toolpathing outside, on & inside the line ? You may also be able to use an offset of some value to give the desired effect but that will probably take some experimenting.
Have you checked the angle of the drag bit to make sure it is accurate ?
I feel like an idiot. I meant "pocket toolpath" not profile toolpath. sorry about that. :?

Chris Hawks

Post by Chris Hawks »

I guess this is what your looking for. CRV file. Sorry about all the other stuff on there. Trying different things on a scrap piece of acrylic. :wink:
test.crv
(312.5 KiB) Downloaded 68 times

LittleGreyMan
Vectric Wizard

Post by LittleGreyMan »

Chris,

We can't do anything with your crv file. You only have a hatched H which is OK. If it is not for you, this is definitely a control software or a machine issue.

Post a file showing the toolpath with is OK and the one which is not. The best way to avoid misunderstanding is to put the vector with the toolpath working on an OK layer, and the other on a NOK layer.
Best regards

Didier

W7 - Aspire 8.517

tomgardiner
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: FMT Patriot 4 x8

Post by tomgardiner »

If you are starting the toolpath part way through the code is it possible that you are not running the precursor lines of code that are in the header? If so, you might be missing some of the G functions that influence the quality of cut such as acceleration and looking ahead. Sorry, not at computer so I can't recall specific G numbers.

Chris Hawks

Post by Chris Hawks »

I will run a new program and send you the crv file with 2 "H" so you can what I'm talking about. Thanks

Chris Hawks

Post by Chris Hawks »

Here are a few more runs. Maybe someone could tell me what's going on here. Thanks for the help guys.

test.crv
(638 KiB) Downloaded 64 times
20180304_151206.jpg

Chris Hawks

Post by Chris Hawks »

Hey guys I forgot about having this. Here is a quick engrave that turned out perfect when it comes to profiling around the skull and letters. I guess the question is why did this one do great and now I can't even make a H or square do right? I'm sure someone on here that's a lot smarter than me will figure it out. LOL
20180304_153102.jpg