Moulding Toolpath Issues

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
Mike Rachocki
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Cobra X3

Moulding Toolpath Issues

Post by Mike Rachocki »

Running some radius bar rail and my roughing pass appears to be cutting too deep in some areas. This is causing some "Flats" that don't get machined out on the finishing pass. Looking for a direction here as I'm not sure what is causing this. Roughing is done with a 1/4"EM with a 40% step over, finishing was done with a 1/4" BN with 10% step over.
I have attached a few pics of the finished piece along with a screen shot of the profile I worked from.
I'm somewhat new to this and don't know what I don't know....
Attachments
Bar Rail.JPG
rsz_img_20180220_150725.jpg
rsz_img_20180220_150728.jpg

Martin Reid
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Shopbot

Re: Moulding Toolpath Issues

Post by Martin Reid »

Dear Mike

Looking good, you must have been very pleased up until that point. I would start by asking how you are holding the piece down? Has it moved (up or down) between cutter changes? Then I would ask what the '3D view' preview looks like (any clues there?).

Finally if you can't get to the bottom of the issue, you could increase the 'Machining Allowance' in the Moulding Toolpath Dialogue.

Anyway I'm watching with interest, so please post when you have got to the bottom of it!

Sincerely and in good faith
Martin Reid
Attachments
Moulding Toolpaths
Moulding Toolpaths

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: -CarveWright CNC -ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha

Re: Moulding Toolpath Issues

Post by mtylerfl »

Hi Mike,

Martin has some excellent suggestions for you, and hopefully will take care of the problem.

This is a case where an example file would be (or would have been) very helpful to post here (or via DropBox if the file is large). We can take a look at your settings and "instantly" see if there are any issues with the Toolpath setup.
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC
-ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha CNC