"Do separate last path" not working

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
mhackney
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: X2 & Grizzly G0504 - w/Mach3

"Do separate last path" not working

Post by mhackney »

I've been trying to use the "Do separate last path" instead of creating 2 separate paths as I used to do in earlier versions. However, it is not working. I drew a simple circle and created a simple 2D profile path. I set outside/right and allowance offset = .01" I also checked "Do separate last path" with an allowance of 0. I've tried reverse direction too. I use the simulation and do not see the finish path. I also do not see it in generated g-code. Am I missing something or is there a bug?

cheers,
Michael
Reelsmith, Author & Angling Historian
www.eclecticangler.com

mhackney
Vectric Apprentice

Re: "Do separate last path" not working

Post by mhackney »

I followed the tutorial to the letter and this is not working: http://support.vectric.com/tutorials/V9 ... ideo_id=35
www.eclecticangler.com

Mobius
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CRP Pro 4848 Custom Build

Post by Mobius »

If I'm reading this right, you want a last path to run at 0.01"? If so:

Leave the offset allowance at 0 (not 0.01" as you have it). This has nothing to do with the separate last path.

Now, check the 'Do Separate Last Pass" box below that and this is where you would set your allowance of 0.01".
Connor Bredin
Distinctive Dimensional Concepts Ltd.
www.distinctive-concepts.ca

mhackney
Vectric Apprentice

Post by mhackney »

Thank you and understood - that's why I made the second post after I found the tutorial that shows how to do it and I LITERALLY followed everything in the tutorial including drawing the same simple rectangle with cutout design. Leaving the Machine Vectors allowance offset set to 0. This is not working in 8.5 as it turns out either. I've tried this on my Surface Pro running the latest Windows 10 update as well as under Fusion on my Mac in Windows 10 too. Perplexing.
www.eclecticangler.com

Jozua
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: EZ-Router

Post by Jozua »

mhackney wrote: This is not working in 8.5 as it turns out either
I still have V8.5 and I can assure you the “Do separate last pass” does work.

See picture. I selected an excessive 4mm allowance offset that can clearly be seen in the profile pass.

Suggestion: Select the option to reverse the last pass. Then move the preview slider to the left this will slow down the simulation.

Joz
Attachments
Last pass.jpg
Last pass-1.jpg

mhackney
Vectric Apprentice

Post by mhackney »

Trust me, I can’t gwt it to work. I tried the reverse direction option and nada. I tried to post a screenshot but was unable.

I tried in 8.5 and got the same result so it is either something I’m not doing or maybe an OS issue most likely.

Also, to be sure, I single step manually in the simulation. And I’ve looked at the gcode. I don’t get the finish pass.
www.eclecticangler.com

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

How many passes have you got defined for the toolpath? You need two or more for the last pass to work. Depending on your end goal you may want to set the Last Part Thickness which will set more passes automatically as well.

Try the attached test file.

Personally I don't use the last pass feature preferring to create two toolpaths and use the Merge Toolpaths feature to create one toolpath. That gives me more control over speeds/leads/ramps etc.
Attachments
LastPassTest.crv3d
(36 KiB) Downloaded 114 times

mhackney
Vectric Apprentice

Post by mhackney »

Thanks Adrian, I've tried 1 pass and multiple (2,4) passes with no change. I have always used 2 separate toolpaths in the past too but thought I'd join the 21st century and let VCarve do the work for me.

I'll try your sample code in a couple of hours and report back.
www.eclecticangler.com

Adrian
Vectric Archimage

Post by Adrian »

Just noticed I posted an Aspire rather than VCarve file. This one will work in VCarve.

If you use toolpath templates the only extra work for the improved functionality of merging two toolpaths is just the merge itself. If the constraints of the last pass feature don't affect what you're doing then it's no issue using that instead.
Attachments
LastPassTest.crv
(27.5 KiB) Downloaded 116 times

Bob Reda
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: shopbot 48x48 upgraded prt

Post by Bob Reda »

I have found that it has not been working that good for me also, especially after the last 2 upgrades. Prior to that I had little to no sanding when I used it. Now I'm only using a .0023 allowance but I noticed recently like it is not really doing anything.

Bob

mhackney
Vectric Apprentice

Post by mhackney »

I've used VCarvePro for over 6 years. The earlier versions did not have this feature. When it came out, I didn't use it as I was used to creating individual tool paths. But now, I have a little free time and thought I'd try to catch up with all of the new features I've overlooked for a couple of years.

In my case, VCP is not generating the g-code for the last path at all. I don't see it in the simulation preview either. That might be what is happening to you. Have you verified that you see the 2 paths in the simulator (use the reverse direction checkbox as Adrian recommends so it is either to see) and verified output to g-code? If not, you may have the same issue I'm having.
www.eclecticangler.com

Adrian
Vectric Archimage

Post by Adrian »

There's been nothing the recent upgrade that should have affected the performance of the last pass feature. If it's not working as well as before it may be worth checking the machine etc to make sure there hasn't been any change there with wear etc. When my machine as due new pinion gears I noticed a drastic drop in the quality of cuts that I could only mitigate a bit by increasing the last pass allowance.

Jozua
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: EZ-Router

Post by Jozua »

Adrian wrote:Just noticed I posted an Aspire rather than VCarve file. This one will work in VCarve
Adrian, My BAD!!

I am watching the “Active Topics” and not the Broad Index and I missed the fact that it was a VCarve question.

Despite that, I wrongly assumed that since VCarve Pro V8.5 was upgraded to almost the exact same level as Aspire with the exception of creating 2.5D objects, that this functionality was included in the VCarve Pro update.

Joz

Mobius
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CRP Pro 4848 Custom Build

Post by Mobius »

Just tested my version 8.517 to confirm and it is working for me. And confirmed that it only works if you have 2 or more passes, so I'm not sure what is going on with yours?
Connor Bredin
Distinctive Dimensional Concepts Ltd.
www.distinctive-concepts.ca

Adrian
Vectric Archimage

Post by Adrian »

[quote="Jozua"

Despite that, I wrongly assumed that since VCarve Pro V8.5 was upgraded to almost the exact same level as Aspire with the exception of creating 2.5D objects, that this functionality was included in the VCarve Pro update.

Joz[/quote]

Aspire and VCarve are identical as far as the non-3d toolpaths go including how the last pass feature works. I just posted the wrong type of file rather than implying it was something only Aspire could do.