VCarve toolpath creating ridges / bumps

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
309cnc
Model of CNC Machine: Axiom, Thermwood

VCarve toolpath creating ridges / bumps

Post by 309cnc »

New here. Hi Everyone!

Having problems cutting the male part of an inlay. Have had some discussion on the Axiom Forum (I am using an Axiom machine) and someone over there suggested I might post this here on this forium as well.

As it is already a fairly long thread, I will try linking to it. If this does not work, I may need some help / suggestion on how to get all the previous comments over here....

http://axiomprecision.proboards.com/thr ... es-preview

Thanks for having a look....

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Re: VCarve toolpath creating ridges / bumps

Post by Adrian »

Hard to say without seeing all the code going by far how down the line you are diagnostic wise on the other forum.

The rule of thumb is if the preview in VCarve doesn't show the issue then it's your machine/control software that has an issue. I would have 100% said it was a mechanical issue until you isolated the C.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

Missed the others pages when looking on my phone over coffee this morning. Now I'm on my PC I've read the whole thread. It definitely sounds like there is movement in your machine somewhere. You'd be amazed at how much force a cutter exerts so what might feel like a completely tight machine will move when cutting.

The problem seems to be occurring when the machine would be decelerating for a Z move into the corner. A "slop" issue with the Z would show up there as the bit is lifting to cut the corner shape and the sideways load on the tool would change. As the problem diminishes in softer material (foam) that would seem to back up that there may well be movement laterally in the Z.

309cnc
Model of CNC Machine: Axiom, Thermwood

Post by 309cnc »

@Adrian: Thanks for taking the time to read the entire post. I appreciate your input.

Yes, seems I have a hardware issue and I am trying to narrow it down as to the router bearings being the problem or the machine. I am inclined to blame the (cheap palm) routers as the Axiom machine is pretty stout. However, I can't say for sure at this point.

Hmmm.....