Through-Pocket Optimization

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
protoplasma
Model of CNC Machine: ShopSABRE 4896

Through-Pocket Optimization

Post by protoplasma »

I use pockets that cut through the material for a handful of different projects -- picture logo/text shapes cut through the material. I like pockets because I don't have to worry about chunks of aluminum sheet metal getting in the way / launched.

I use an 1/8" mill to hog most material out, and a 1/16" for a finish pass. Here comes the optimization request -- the 1/16" end mill traverses the perimeter perfectly, just as expected. But, in areas where there's a sharp corner, the tool is dropped to mill out material that would have been missed had the pocket not been through the depth of material. That little chunk is long-gone at this point... This can occur hundreds of times on a single sheet of material, depending on the design, etc, probably 15 minutes of just cutting air over a job. And, it's twice as long when cutting thicker material where I would do the 1/16" milling in 2 passes.

Therein the question -- is there any way to optimize the pocketing process to omit the extraneous moves by the smaller mill? It seems given the material thickness variable, and the pocket depth being greater than that, the software can easily determine the moves which would cut air.

Perhaps a gadget could be written to do this?

IslaWW
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Controller Upgrades

Re: Through-Pocket Optimization

Post by IslaWW »

Have you tried a simple profile with the 1/16th bit? Use continuous spiral ramp
Gary Campbell
GCnC Control
ATC & Servo Controller Controller Upgrades
GCnC411 (at) gmail.com

protoplasma
Model of CNC Machine: ShopSABRE 4896

Re: Through-Pocket Optimization

Post by protoplasma »

So, do the pocket with the 1/8" bit, then a separate profile toolpath for the 1/16" end mill? I have not tried that, but I will plan to.

I usually avoid multiple toolpaths on the same vectors, just doesn't seem real elegant. But, optimization calls for it at times I suppose...