Material Setup Using Machine Bed as z-zero

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: -CarveWright CNC -ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha

Re: Material Setup Using Machine Bed as z-zero

Post by mtylerfl »

A start depth same as the material thickness?? I see high potential for bad things ahead. Something is not right.

I am having a very hard time understanding why you are having such difficulty with setting Z-Zero to the spoilboard. It's normally a very (very) simple matter of simply touching off the bit wherever you want the z-zero location to be (in this case the spoilboard aka bottom of material), then proceed to run your project.

Seeing your actual file would help us help you.
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC
-ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha CNC

mplsartist
Model of CNC Machine: OOZnest 1500x1500

Post by mplsartist »

Michael:
As far as I can tell, my controller software is not accepting the location of the z=0 designated by Vectric. It seems to only understand where the bit is at the moment.

I've tried to designate z=0 on the spoilboard with my controller software and then moving my bit to the top of the material, setting x=0 & y=0, to get ready to start the cut. The result is that I get the router doing an air cut about 3/4" above the material.

I've also tried designating z=0 on top of the material, hoping that the controller would understand the G-code from Vectric. Again, I get an air cut.

I've also tried not designating z=0 at all with the controller software, but end up getting the same result.

I've attached a photo to give you an idea of my material/spoil board set up. The inked + sign is where I start my cuts. I've also attached the crv file.

I appreciate any help you can provide

Steve
Spoilboard.jpg
Board 11 bottom right.crv
(1.99 MiB) Downloaded 80 times

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage

Post by mtylerfl »

Your z-zero location has nothing to do with your x,y start points. And, you certainly do NOT set your z-zero on top of your material if you have set it to the bottom in your Vectric file.

On my machine, I have it already set for the x,y start location. There is nothing further to do other than place my corner of the material there.

Then the only thing to do is set the Z-Zero for the bit. If the file I created has the z-zero set at the bottom, then I just lower the bit to an appropriate location of the spoilboard and it's ready to go.

I do not need to reset my x,y location because it's already done. Just start the project run and it will move to the correct x, y start point automatically.
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

Sounds like when you're doing the XY zero the controller software is doing the Z zero at the same time. Usually all 3 axis can be zeroed independently (at least on all control software I've seen). Double check that the routine you're using to zero the XY isn't re-zeroing the Z.

As Michael says there should be no need to reset the XY every job if you're using the same point. I haven't reset the XY on my machine for months.

LittleGreyMan
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 3 axis small size machine

Post by LittleGreyMan »

If you ordered a full kit from Ooznest, it seems your machine is using grbl.

grbl users will give much more valuable information, but after giving a quick look at the grbl wiki, it seems it uses a fixed physical origin.

AFAIK, you'll need to define wcs (work coordinate system).

Have a look at this link: https://github.com/grbl/grbl/wiki/Using-Grbl
Best regards

Didier

W7 - Aspire 8.517

mplsartist

Post by mplsartist »

Last night after reading Adrian's advice regarding my controller, I went online to do some remedial tutorials. I discovered that I was taking an extra step in the zeroing process and may have been undoing my work. I did a couple "dry air" tests this morning, and everything is looking pretty good. I'll do a live test later this morning.

Michael: After understanding what I was doing wrong with my controller set up, it is very easy to establish the starting point at the spoiler bed as you had suggested.

LGM: Thanks for the additional info!

Thank you everyone for your help and patience getting me through this head scratching problem.

Steve.

mplsartist

Post by mplsartist »

First "live" cut looked good with even profile cuts that went through the wood evenly on both sides of each piece. I just need to do a little fine tuning. This is definitely a better way to cut many profile pieces from sheet goods that need to go all the way through the material. All I need to do now is cut the tabs with a Dremel tool.

Thanks again everyone!

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage

Post by mtylerfl »

Thank you for the report, Steve. That's great news!
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC

LittleGreyMan
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 3 axis small size machine

Post by LittleGreyMan »

mtylerfl wrote:Thank you for the report, Steve. That's great news!
+1
Best regards

Didier

W7 - Aspire 8.517