File cutting to small

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
tomgardiner
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: FMT Patriot 4 x8

Re: File cutting to small

Post by tomgardiner »

Apologies if I am repeating what another poster has said, do the Enroute and Vcarve pocketing routine differ with the respect to step over machining pocket boundary first or last. Can you look back at a previous to upgrade pocket file to see what parameters you have selected for those. I have had hiccups because I have missed selections that are normally default values for my machine that are set for VCARVE defaults after an upgrade.
Another thing to try if you have not already is to run the file a second time on the workpiece without changing position. If deflection is the issue then running the same file with minimal load should realize the correct size.
I just realized that when I have experimented with no final pass on a pocket, it was left undersized. I bet that is what it is.

tomgardiner
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: FMT Patriot 4 x8

Post by tomgardiner »

On second thought, the g code would have pointed out the "no final pass " theory. I take back my bet.

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: -CarveWright CNC -ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha

Post by mtylerfl »

tomgardiner wrote:On second thought, the g code would have pointed out the "no final pass " theory. I take back my bet.
Right. And in his original example file, he is using the Offset strategy for clearing the pocket (no option for final pocket pass ...aka Profile Pass...unless using the Raster strategy)

Dang...got back on the dead horse! :D
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC
-ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha CNC

wmgeorge
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Workbee 1000x750 Mach 4 PMDX Controller

Post by wmgeorge »

Maybe not a dead horse but .020 inch over 24 inches is pretty darn good, considering its wood and expansion/contraction can account for that. No details from the OP on how or what it is measured with, nor gcode files to compare.

Bill I

Post by Bill I »

All is well now thanks to Vectric who found some how I had an old post processor installed. After installing the new post processor It was cutting better but still not good enough .023 smaller even in acrylic. I checked all cables from the computer to the controller and found the Smooth Stepper cable was touching the Spindle cable possibly causing interference. After moving the cable every thing is cutting fine!! Thanks to all !!!

Rcnewcomb
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: 24x36 GCnC/WinCNC with ATC

Post by Rcnewcomb »

After moving the cable every thing is cutting fine!!
Great news! Thanks for the update.
- Randall Newcomb
10 fingers in, 10 fingers out, another good day in the shop

LittleGreyMan
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 3 axis small size machine

Post by LittleGreyMan »

Good news.

I still have 2 questions:
-how did you measure the slot with that precision?
-how could other software work properly if it was an hardware issue?
Best regards

Didier

W7 - Aspire 8.517

Bill I

Post by Bill I »

To measure the slot a friend of mine is a machinist and we used his Starrett gauge.
After installing the current post processor I cut the file again and was .023 to small. Vectric advised the file was fine I then cut the Enroute file and it was cutting to small. Before installing the post processor I was looking for cable connection problems. I cut some wire ties and that is when I think the Smooth Stepper cable came into contact with the spindle cable and since I moved the Smooth Stepper cable it cut both files fine. So in short the problem was an old version of the post processor installed and me cutting cable ties creating the second problem.

LittleGreyMan
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 3 axis small size machine

Post by LittleGreyMan »

Thanks for clarifying.
Best regards

Didier

W7 - Aspire 8.517