CNC not machining proper Specs

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
Justin F
Model of CNC Machine: Laguna CNC Turner

CNC not machining proper Specs

Post by Justin F »

I am making baseball bats on my CNC. I have made the 3D model exactly how I want it. When I import the model into Vcarve, everything looks great. I Zero my tool in the center of the job, and my CNC produces a nice looking bat model, except the demensions are about .165 inches too thick all the way through the bat. This is a big deal when it comes to handle and barrel width of a baseball bat. Anyone have any idea what could be going on?

Thanks
Justin

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: -CarveWright CNC -ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha

Re: CNC not machining proper Specs

Post by mtylerfl »

Hi,

Check your model position in the material via Material Setup. Perhaps it is positioned 0.165" from the bottom of the material, thus making the model 0.165" too thick.
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC
-ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha CNC

4DThinker
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Shark Pro, Probotix Meteor 25" x 50"

Post by 4DThinker »

Justin F wrote:I Zero my tool in the center of the job, and my CNC produces a nice looking bat model, except the dimensions are about .165 inches too thick all the way through the bat... Anyone have any idea what could be going on? Thanks, Justin
Where/How are you setting Z=0 before you start the job? I ask because I was having a similar problem until I spent a day hunting down the source. I was using the center tip of my tailstock dead center as the place to set Z=0, and it turns out the tailstock had been mis-manufactured and was not perfectly in line with the center of my chuck.

4D

Justin F

Post by Justin F »

Ok thanks for your reply. I sill certainly check that. If it is the case, I should change that .165 figure to 0, and the specs will be exact. Is this correct?

Thanks

Justin F

Post by Justin F »

4D, I am using the center tip of my tailstock as the dead center...

4DThinker
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Shark Pro, Probotix Meteor 25" x 50"

Post by 4DThinker »

Justin F wrote:4D, I am using the center tip of my tailstock as the dead center...
If you can, slip a philips driver tip or anything with a reasonable pointed tip into your chuck. Then slide the tailstock up to it to verify that the centers align perfectly.

Justin F

Post by Justin F »

4DThinker wrote:
Justin F wrote:4D, I am using the center tip of my tailstock as the dead center...
If you can, slip a philips driver tip or anything with a reasonable pointed tip into your chuck. Then slide the tailstock up to it to verify that the centers align perfectly.
Will do thank you!

Justin F

Post by Justin F »

mtylerfl wrote:Hi,

Check your model position in the material via Material Setup. Perhaps it is positioned 0.165" from the bottom of the material, thus making the model 0.165" too thick.
MATERIAL SETUP:
Thickness: 1.3885 (this value x2 is the thickness of my billet before it is machined)
Z-Zero: Machine Bed
Model Position in Material: The blue bar is all the way at the bottom. "Gap Above Model" is selected and the value reads 1.3885. "Gap below model" reads 0
ZGap above Material: .21

See anything that seems off?

Thanks!!