SVG Import Issue

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
Jace
Model of CNC Machine: X-Carve 1000mm

SVG Import Issue

Post by Jace »

Hello,

After searching the forums, and Help, and double checking the "Working With Imported Vectors Guide" video, I am still stumped with this issue, so I thought I'd try the forums first.
http://support.vectric.com/tutorials/V9 ... ideo_id=23

I have a client's SVG file that I can open/view without issue in InkScape. When I import the vector in to a current project or try Open an existing file, I get no vectors displayed and no error messages indicating the import failed. I figured that the vectors were not on the work space, so I hit F9, and that was no help. I thought this might be an issue with the software version (9.012), so I updated to 9.014, and the result is the same. Any help here or should I contact support direct?

Bob Reda
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: shopbot 48x48 upgraded prt

Re: SVG Import Issue

Post by Bob Reda »

did you just try and open it or did you use the import vectors?

Jace

Post by Jace »

Bob Reda wrote:did you just try and open it or did you use the import vectors?
Hi Bob,

I tried both methods.

highpockets
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: PDJ Pilot Pro

Post by highpockets »

If it opens is Inkscape try using Save As in Inkscape and create a new SVG file. The other option would be to Save As a DXF file in Inkscape.
John
Maker of Chips

Jace

Post by Jace »

highpockets wrote:If it opens is Inkscape try using Save As in Inkscape and create a new SVG file. The other option would be to Save As a DXF file in Inkscape.
Think I see the issue now. When I hit select all in InkScape, the entire area is selected, versus the vectors? Looks like there are no actual vectors in this vector file!

highpockets
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: PDJ Pilot Pro

Post by highpockets »

If it's a bitmap then use the Trace Bitmap in Inkscape or bring it in as a bitmap in VCP and use Trace Bitmap.
John
Maker of Chips

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

File types like SVG, EPS, PDF will support either vector or bitmap data, just because a file has that extension don't believe for one minute that it contains vectors, it may be all vectors a mixture of vector & bitmap or all bitmap :lol: :lol:
Most customers don't understand the difference between bitmap & vector data or the process involved in producing their job so if you ask for a specific file type they will send you artwork in that format regardless of what type of artwork it is thinking they are giving you exactly what you want :lol: :lol: :lol:

You should still be able to import the file into the software though & then recreate it using the trace bitmap as highpockets has suggested or by drawing from scratch yourself.