Replacing selected vectors

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
Mark Bolton
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: ShopSabre408PRO-10HPHSD-10posATC-WinCNC

Replacing selected vectors

Post by Mark Bolton »

Hello all,
Our cabinet software generates DXF's that we the bring into Vcarve to nest and toolpath. We are using a fastener that requires a half inch deep pocket that is three overlapping 15mm holes. The cab software generates the vectors as holes but Im wondering if there is an automated way to replace the vectors with a set of vectors that would allow for a profile or pocket toolpath for faster machining? There can be hundreds of these on a given job and when the CNC machines them as holes it off course plunges and retracts for each hole chewing up a lot of time. I we could run a 3/8" bit and a profile or pocket tool path it would be just a couple seconds for each entire mortise.

Ive exported an image. The three overlapping holes on the right are what the software exports but I'd like to be able to run the profile on the left (perhaps closing the open portion with either lead-in vectors or three sides of a square there to make a pocket if that makes sense).

The fastener vectors all come in to Vcarve on a layer so I can activate that layer and select all vectors but havent seen anything to be able to quickly replace those vectors with the pocket vector.

Thanks for any input

Ken Tipton
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Laguna IQ

Re: Replacing selected vectors

Post by Ken Tipton »

Use the scissor tools. It is a icon that looks like a pair of scissors. Click on it and then just cut away the lines you don't want.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

There are many ways to do it manually (weld tool would be quickest) but I'm guessing you want a fully automatic way with the volumes you're talking about?

Only way I can see of doing that is developing a gadget.

Mark Bolton
Vectric Craftsman

Post by Mark Bolton »

Ken,
Thanks for the input. The scissor tool is what I used to make the vector you see in the image. The problem I have is on a given job that encompasses perhaps 20 sheets of material, there may be several hundred of these pockets. I cant in any way manually correct every single one.

Thanks though..

Mark Bolton
Vectric Craftsman

Post by Mark Bolton »

Adrian wrote:There are many ways to do it manually (weld tool would be quickest) but I'm guessing you want a fully automatic way with the volumes you're talking about?

Only way I can see of doing that is developing a gadget.
Thanks Adrian. That was my fear. I have no problem whatever manually adjusting the vector. As you say, pretty straight forward. As I mentioned in my reply to Ken, on an average job there may be several hundred of these.

If perhaps anyone reading this is savvy in gadget creation and would be willing to give me some info on cost or feasibility of such a gadget I would be interested in the option.

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

Quickest way as Adrian has said is the weld option, quicker than using the scissors. I realise there are a lot of these but would it be possible to box select them maybe in groups? Once you have box selected some then use the weld tool, nowhere near as quick as using a gadget though :lol: :lol:

Mark Bolton
Vectric Craftsman

Post by Mark Bolton »

martin54 wrote:Quickest way as Adrian has said is the weld option, quicker than using the scissors. I realise there are a lot of these but would it be possible to box select them maybe in groups? Once you have box selected some then use the weld tool, nowhere near as quick as using a gadget though :lol: :lol:
Hmm, when you say box select, that doesnt mean something like if I modify one vector it happens to them all does it? I dont know if your familiar with Sketchup but soemthing where I could make them all a component and manipulating one manipulates them all would work.

I can very easily select every single one of these pockets in the nest because they come into Vcarve on a layer. So for toolpathing I simply select that layer, select all layer vectors, pocket, and done. The problem is those overlapping circles makes Vcarve look at them as individual circles so the tool path becomes the machine pocketing three 15mm holes. Even if I could quickly eliminate all the overlaps it would simply become a Caterpillar shaped pocket so to speak.

Maybe I will get lucky and some gadget guru will read this and float me a number lol.

Mark Bolton
Vectric Craftsman

Post by Mark Bolton »

martin54 wrote:Quickest way as Adrian has said is the weld option, quicker than using the scissors. I realise there are a lot of these but would it be possible to box select them maybe in groups? Once you have box selected some then use the weld tool, nowhere near as quick as using a gadget though :lol: :lol:

Wow, I just figured out what your saying. I think it will work!!

FixitMike
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shark Pro Plus (retired)

Post by FixitMike »

Mark Bolton wrote:the CNC machines them as holes it off course plunges and retracts for each hole chewing up a lot of time.
Can you increase the plunge rate on the tool you are using? Also, in the toolpath Material setup, change the Z2 to .05"? Then the tool will plunge rapidly to .05" above your material before slowing to the Z plunge rate.
Good judgement comes from experience.
Experience comes from bad judgement.

4DThinker
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Shark Pro, Probotix Meteor 25" x 50"

Post by 4DThinker »

The weld tool is all you need. It will do exactly what several scissor snips would have done, and on all the selected vectors at the same time. You have them in a layer. Make that layer the only active layer, select all, weld.

Mark Bolton
Vectric Craftsman

Post by Mark Bolton »

4DThinker wrote:The weld tool is all you need. It will do exactly what several scissor snips would have done, and on all the selected vectors at the same time. You have them in a layer. Make that layer the only active layer, select all, weld.
Yep, thanks 4D. I finally got that through my thick skull lol. Import the DXF, first step, select all those vectors on the layer, weld, and they are all good. I dont know why I didnt think of that initially. System overload.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

I thought you were wanting to do several files in one go automatically so I was definitely overthinking it!

Mark Bolton
Vectric Craftsman

Post by Mark Bolton »

Adrian wrote:I thought you were wanting to do several files in one go automatically so I was definitely overthinking it!
Not several files per-say but of course a given job may come in with 20 sheets and wanting to correct all the sheets at once. The weld tool does what Im looking for. Thanks so much for taking the time.

TamRon CNC
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger III X3 W/Rotary Aspire9

Post by TamRon CNC »

I recently learned how to use toolpath templates.

http://support.vectric.com/tutorials/V9 ... ET%20FILES

The toolpath template feature is designed to save you time by creating one set of toolpaths you can then apply to similar jobs.
Importing vectors from a cabinet design package, looking at layer organization, using the automatic vector selector option, to ultimately create a toolpath template and applying this to a different set of data for quick and accurate toolpath calculation.
Load up your template and select the toolpaths that are used on your sheets and cut away.

Hope this helps