Which tool do I need

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Re: Which tool do I need

Post by martin54 »

Joeshark wrote:I will try everything that you guys suggest. I am sure things will turn out better. Thanks a lot
Get things right & they WILL turn out better, lots of people on the forum carving text without issues :lol: :lol: :lol:

Just be prepared to experiment a bit, best way to learn just what your machine can & can't do :lol: :lol:

KeithW
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Probotix Meteor, Aspire 8.014

Post by KeithW »

My bit is 60Deg. Depth is .2. The tool path preview looks good

When you are cutting letters, you should be using the V-Carve function WITHOUT a depth setting, (not a profile cut). Let the software and machine determine the depth as calculated by the bit and the size of the font. If you are forcing a depth of cut, the letters will not carve right - If the font is big you will end up with flat bottoms, or if it is a small font, you may force the letters to cut to deep, and running into each other.

wmgeorge
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Workbee 1000x750 Mach 4 PMDX Controller

Post by wmgeorge »

KeithW wrote:
My bit is 60Deg. Depth is .2. The tool path preview looks good

When you are cutting letters, you should be using the V-Carve function WITHOUT a depth setting, (not a profile cut). Let the software and machine determine the depth as calculated by the bit and the size of the font. If you are forcing a depth of cut, the letters will not carve right - If the font is big you will end up with flat bottoms, or if it is a small font, you may force the letters to cut to deep, and running into each other.
FYY Its starting Depth as I recall (which I do without issues) and so far he has not confirmed the diameter of the V bit he is actually using. I suggested a much smaller starting Depth in my post.

Joeshark
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Shark HD4

Post by Joeshark »

I am sorry I haven't gotten back with you guys. I have been busy making a counter top for the boss [ the wife ]. I will check the diameter of my 60deg v-bit tomorrow. I do have a question about the depth that the tool will cut. Do I change it in the tool selection area. Is this the pass depth?

martin54
Vectric Archimage

Post by martin54 »

The pass depth is what you want to alter, that is the depth it will cut on each pass, you can alter it in the tool database which will be a permanent change or on the toolpath tab where the cutting tool is specified you will see a button to edit tool where you can alter it for that one specific job. If you are only cutting 0.2" deep the diameter is probably not going to make any difference but worth checking & changing if needed anyway :lol: :lol:

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Post by adze_cnc »

KeithW wrote:If the font is big you will end up with flat bottoms, or if it is a small font, you may force the letters to cut to deep, and running into each other.
Conversely if the font is too large and you don't specify a maximum depth you could end up carving through your material, your spoilboard, and your machine bed.

KeithW
Vectric Craftsman

Post by KeithW »

And if you use a start depth (of .2 as stated) it will 'force' the letters to carve deeper, (machine thinking the surface of the work is .2 lower than it actually is) possibly causing them to run together, especially on smaller fonts.

martin54
Vectric Archimage

Post by martin54 »

KeithW wrote:And if you use a start depth (of .2 as stated) it will 'force' the letters to carve deeper, (machine thinking the surface of the work is .2 lower than it actually is) possibly causing them to run together, especially on smaller fonts.
Not sure it is a start depth Keith, I thought from what I read he was cutting to a depth of 0.2 but I may easily have missed something :lol: :lol:

martin54
Vectric Archimage

Post by martin54 »

The main problem with a post like this is that without the file everyone is making assumptions about what the OP is doing, we don't even know what toolpath strategy they are using, could be one of several for this type of job :lol: :lol:

Without knowing exactly what they are doing people are giving advice on how they would approach the job :lol: :lol:

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Post by adze_cnc »

Original poster: "My bit is 60Deg. Depth is .2."

Ambiguous at best but unless you're lettering in a pocket I wouldn't immediately presume this as a start depth but rather a max depth.

Joeshark

Post by Joeshark »

Hey guys, the v-bit checked out to be ok. My starting depth is "0" and cutting depth is .2 I tried using different fonts, and the project look a lot better.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

Sounds like you're using a profile toolpath to cut rather than a VCarve toolpath. Is that correct? It would certainly explain the issue and why there is a lot of confusion.

Joeshark

Post by Joeshark »

Yes I am using v-carve tool path.

martin54
Vectric Archimage

Post by martin54 »

Joeshark wrote:Yes I am using v-carve tool path.
So if you are using a Vcarve toolpath then are you setting a max depth of 0.2" ?

Just below where you type your replies is a box that says upload attachment, if you click on that you can add the .crv file or a screenshot which would make it much easier for forum members to help you :lol: :lol: :lol:

KeithW
Vectric Craftsman

Post by KeithW »

My thoughts are regardless of a "cut depth" or "start depth" (2 different things) I would find it hard to believe that the font he chose (which ever one it is) would cut to .2 depth. You would have to pick exactly the right size (height) of font to get a .2 depth, as the depth depends on the size of the font, the type of bit used, and is dictated buy how deep the machine calculates that it has to carve to reach the sides of the letters.

If you have BIG font, again, depending on the bit used, you can set a cut depth, but will end up with flat bottom letters.