ks2
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: 24X24 W/Rail and carriage/1HP Bosch

masking peeling paint off of MDF

Post by ks2 »

PaintPeeling.jpg
Hello
Could really use some help with masking on furniture grade MDF
I have two failed attempts, on the first I applied spray can auto primer, Enamel spray paint and enamel spray can sealer. after carving and painting I went to remove the masking (Oramask stencil film 813) It peeled the paint to include the primer.
On the second go used the same material but used craft acrylic paint and sanded the board with 150 Grit and again peeled all the way to include the primer.
If anyone has any experience with painting up MDF I would really know what materials u are using.

Thanks
Ken

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Re: masking peeling paint off of MDF

Post by martin54 »

MDF won't accept just any primer, you need to buy a primer for MDF, there is a good one that people your side of the pond recommend but I can't think of its name, the other thing is how long are you leaving the board to dry before applying the paint mask ? Touch dry doesn't mean that the paint is fully cured :lol: :lol:

ks2
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: 24X24 W/Rail and carriage/1HP Bosch

Post by ks2 »

yes ur right, it dried fur 3 days and I agree it would a ppear that the primer failed.

highpockets
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: PDJ Pilot Pro

Post by highpockets »

Ken,

With MDF you want to use an oil base primer so as to minimize raising the surface of the MDF. I've used Kilz with good success.

Looks like you're trying to make a black plaque with white lettering a white border.

After painting the blank MDF with primer, apply the black topcoat. Once dry you can v carve the lettering and border. After cleaning up the v carve as necessary spray the entire sign with several clear coats. Next paint the letters and border with white paint wiping the sign face as you go to remove the excess paint. I use a damp cloth and fold it to a new side often.

The other method I've tried with good success is to paint the letters let the white paint dry just a little bit then come back with a plastic razor blade and scrape the white paint off the surface.

Once all painted apply several clear coats to finish.

Hope this helps.
John
Maker of Chips

garylyb
Model of CNC Machine: axiom

Post by garylyb »

I do a lot of this. I remove the mask by rolling it back, and dragging it straight back keeping it flat on the surface.

If I peel it at a higher angle, it can remove the paint.

I've started using artists acrylic gesso as a primer. It's a thick, sandable, fast drying acrylic paint. 2 coats sanded creates a nice surface.