B&W Photo to VCarve Pro 3D

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
wmgeorge
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Workbee 1000x750 Mach 4 PMDX Controller

B&W Photo to VCarve Pro 3D

Post by wmgeorge »

I just upgraded from V5.5 to V9. Is there a way to convert a photo to a useable 3D carving in V9? I know I can purchase PhotoCarve and its suppose to do it. Wanted to incorperate the carving with laser imaging over the carving. Yes I have a 40 watt co2 laser engraver. But if I can already do in PC then better yet.

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Re: B&W Photo to VCarve Pro 3D

Post by martin54 »

No not with any version of vcarve, vcarve doesn't contain the 3D modeling options that you require for something like that, what software are you using for your laser engraver ??

wmgeorge
Vectric Craftsman

Post by wmgeorge »

I use Corel Draw x6 for both lasers. I thought PhotoVcarve could do?

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

PhotoVCarve doesn't do laser engraving. It's pictures rely on the different widths and depths created by using a V-bit.

wmgeorge
Vectric Craftsman

Post by wmgeorge »

Adrian wrote:PhotoVCarve doesn't do laser engraving. It's pictures rely on the different widths and depths created by using a V-bit.
Yes, I know that. But I can Export out what I need.

So here is what I did today.... and its a long, long ways from my finished but I took a Gray scale image into Simplify 3D a program I use for 3D printing, converted to a STL file. Bought into VCarve Pro V9 and by trial and error and some reading of the PDF file ended up with what I hope to post here. This is only a Test, nothing to brag about but using something I already owned. IF for one minute I thought PhotoVCarve would do, I would purchase in a heartbeat. Maybe I will download the trial.
Attachments
First Try with 3D
First Try with 3D

wmgeorge
Vectric Craftsman

Post by wmgeorge »

Downloaded PhotoVCarve and with the PDF fie instructions posted about setting the rate down to 10 and 5% it looked decent. But I was left with no options to do a Save As for a STL file to use, perhaps it Saves in a format that VCarve can use and edit? Using the sample images I could only create a toolpath for my machine.

So still looking for a program other that what I have already found and posted the results and maybe that is the answer for now.

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

If I remember correctly you import the toolpaths into vcarve, you can then position where you want in your vcarve job. Have a look under the import tab on vcarve, sure that is where it is :lol:

Adrian
Vectric Archimage

Post by Adrian »

You toolpath the job in PhotoVCarve and then save the PhotoVCarve file (not the toolpath gcode). You then import that file into VCarve from the File/Import menu. That will import the toolpaths into VCarve and you can then position to where you want from there. You can't edit it in VCarve though.

wmgeorge
Vectric Craftsman

Post by wmgeorge »

Adrian wrote:You toolpath the job in PhotoVCarve and then save the PhotoVCarve file (not the toolpath gcode). You then import that file into VCarve from the File/Import menu. That will import the toolpaths into VCarve and you can then position to where you want from there. You can't edit it in VCarve though.
So I am assuming since I have the Trial version of PhotoVCarve I can not SAVE even the sample images only the gcode.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage

Post by Adrian »

Sorry, forgot PVC is an older program and won't let you save with the trial. The sample files are already toolpathed though so you can try loading them in to see how it works.