Just starting out

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
madriano
Model of CNC Machine: Shark

Just starting out

Post by madriano »

I took the plunge and purchased a Shark HD4 and I'm using VCarve Desktop, I wanted to try the Paradise Box but I keep running into the same problem. When I load the first toolpath file into my Shark HD 4, I set X, Y & Z to the proper place on the board and zero everything out. The first toolpath runs great, but when I load the second toolpath it no longer knows where X & Y are so it carves in the wrong place.

Any thoughts on what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks,
Mike

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Re: Just starting out

Post by martin54 »

Shark have their own forum so might be worth asking the question on there as well, your Zero position shouldn't be changing orry don't know the control software you are running so can't help with that.
Have you tried toolpathing this yourself ? I never use the toolpaths that come with the Vectric Free Projects because I use metric bits rather than imperial & even if I did use imperial bits the settings that Michael uses with his machine are different to the settings I use on my machine. What is the toolpath preview like ? do all the toolpaths machine in the right place? When saving are you sure you used the same post processor for each toolpath?

Try & toolpath it yourself to see if it helps at all :lol: :lol:

highpockets
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: PDJ Pilot Pro

Post by highpockets »

What does the toolpath preview look like? Is it showing everything is cutting correctly?
John
Maker of Chips

madriano

Post by madriano »

I haven't tried running the toolpaths myself, they look fine on the preview. I'll try the shark forum as well.

Thanks,
Mike

Xxray
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CAMaster Stinger 1

Post by Xxray »

Open "job size and position" and make sure XY datum position is set as you expect.
I always use center, different people for various reasons may use others.
Whenever I have off center problems between tap files, its almost always a datum position discrepancy from a premade file that I forgot to check.

For kicks, if it is not center, set it there and recalculate. Save the toolpaths and see if that helps when loaded into whatever control software you are using.
All the toolpaths should be centered in the same place.
Doug

Steve Misher
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Axiom AR4

Post by Steve Misher »

You might want to double check the orientation of your work piece. That may possibly be what is wrong.
It's usually the simple things we miss that causes the problems!

Reh21
Model of CNC Machine: Shark HD4

Post by Reh21 »

Its moving to the x y datum position. move it to the center of the project. 8)

Daniel S
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: CAMaster Stinger SR-23

Post by Daniel S »

I have a Shark HD4 also, and have not had the issue of lost x,y,z, yet. If you look at the lower left corner of your Pendant it has Mv 0,0,0 and after it has run a tool path it should return to where you started. I always use lower left corner to start so if I have power outage or some other problem I can always find my home. If you hit the button next to Mv ,0,0,0 (Zero xyz) you will have lost your home position, that zero's all where you are.
For me I made a L shaped home block out of 1/2 in ply 2" x 2" and using a .0625 ball nose I pocket a small hole at -200 Y -200 X then I can get back to corner of my work and only need to reset Z . Hope that helps, it is learning process so stay with you will get it. Keep reading the forum they have been a great help to me.
Dan

madriano

Post by madriano »

Thanks to everyone who has responded! I will be back in the shop today and tomorrow and plan to rectify my issue with all of your suggestions. I'll post my results when finished...

Thanks,
Mike