VCarve Pro, Import tool paths

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
DHDeitrick
Model of CNC Machine: Maverick 3 x 5

VCarve Pro, Import tool paths

Post by DHDeitrick »

This is embarrassing. I have tool paths for a project but seem to have deleted the .crv file for that project. Is there a way to import the tool path files back in to VCarve Pro 9 and reconstruct the .crv file "backwards" ?

Thanks

Rcnewcomb
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: 24x36 GCnC/WinCNC with ATC

Re: VCarve Pro, Import tool paths

Post by Rcnewcomb »

There are G-Code to DXF converters. But the G code has offsets based on the bit size, and whether it was profile inside or outside, and includes the rapid moves from one area to another which will probably be translated as vectors which you will have to remove.

Most people conclude it is too much work to fix the results from a G-Code/DXF conversion and find they can just re-created the CRV file with less frustration.

If this happens to you frequently you may wish to enable file history backups on Windows.
- Randall Newcomb
10 fingers in, 10 fingers out, another good day in the shop

DHDeitrick
Model of CNC Machine: Maverick 3 x 5

Post by DHDeitrick »

Thanks. That is about what I expected. Actually it hasn't happened before. I think I may have done too good a job cleaning my hard drive to leave room for photos from an upcoming trip. I will turn on the auto save feature, I use it in Sketchup a lot and find it useful when I really mess things up.

Rcnewcomb
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: 24x36 GCnC/WinCNC with ATC

Post by Rcnewcomb »

It might be good for others to review this thread on various ways to save and backup work: <Ctrl S>, <Ctrl Alt S>, and Backups
- Randall Newcomb
10 fingers in, 10 fingers out, another good day in the shop