Windows 10 Fall Creators Update and VCarve issue

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
RobH063
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: 1000mm Xcarve

Windows 10 Fall Creators Update and VCarve issue

Post by RobH063 »

Has anyone else installed this update that Microsoft is forcing on Windows 10 users and found it slows down VCarve calculating? What used to take a few seconds now takes over a minute on my machine. Just wondering if anyone else has this issue.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Re: Windows 10 Fall Creators Update and VCarve issue

Post by Adrian »

I've had it in preview for a while now and I haven't noticed any difference when calculating toolpaths in Aspire.

Have a look at the task manager while it's calculating to see if you can see what else might be drawing resources.

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

I have all but stopped doing any design work on my laptop because it is an older model (dual core 6 gig ram) & the last couple of major updates by Microsoft have slowed it to the point where it becomes annoying :lol: :lol:
My desktop on the other hand is a much more capable machine & hasn't been affected :lol: :lol:

Like Adrian has said have a look to see what else is going on in the background & if there is anything you can turn off or disable that will help :lol: :lol:

RobH063
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: 1000mm Xcarve

Post by RobH063 »

I didn't see anything in Task Manager that would be bogging things down but I have discovered that my Malwarebytes program doesn't play nice with the new update either. I did the rollback to the previous version of Windows 10 (you have 10 days to do this after installing the update) and now everything works fine again. While doing some research, I have noticed there are many tutorials online about how to remove the update so there must be many people with some sort of issues with it too.

martin54
Vectric Archimage

Post by martin54 »

There are probably a lot of people with older machines that were originally running windows 7 (like my laptop) who have noticed speed reductions & have therefore removed the update. :lol: :lol:
My Daughter only uses Her laptop on the internet & she has moaned at me how slow it seems to be just lately :lol: :lol:
Microsoft obviously want people to keep buying new computers :lol: :lol: :lol:

ger21
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Custom DIY

Post by ger21 »

Try changing the hard drive to an SSD. Costs about $75, and makes a world of difference.
Gerry - http://www.thecncwoodworker.com

martin54
Vectric Archimage

Post by martin54 »

ger21 wrote:Try changing the hard drive to an SSD. Costs about $75, and makes a world of difference.
Guess that depends on the machine, for me it's just not worth it with the age of the laptops, my desktop however does have 2 SSD drives as well as a couple of sata drives for storage :lol: :lol: