machine bed?

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
blacksmithED
Model of CNC Machine: Pirahna FX

machine bed?

Post by blacksmithED »

If one chooses "machine bed" on the Job Setup section, what do you set the cutter at?
Is seems obvious that one would set the cutter on the surface of the bed. But then, if I use a touch plate, I would have to set the plate on the bed, correct?

Why don't we always use the Machine Bed option? If we did, we would never cut into our spoilboard. It seems like the machine bed should be the default.

If the machine bed is used to start from, then would one have to combine the thickness of the material with the Safe Z amount or will the program know to keep the cutter above the material and not the bed?
Ed

Rcnewcomb
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: 24x36 GCnC/WinCNC with ATC

Re: machine bed?

Post by Rcnewcomb »

will the program know to keep the cutter above the material and not the bed?
The program keeps track of it. On the material setup page the Z references for Z home, clearance, and plunge are all referenced as gaps above the material
savfZ.PNG
See this thread for more discussion: Where to Z?
- Randall Newcomb
10 fingers in, 10 fingers out, another good day in the shop

blacksmithED
Model of CNC Machine: Pirahna FX

Post by blacksmithED »

Thanks Randall. I've had surgery on my foot and have to be off my feet for nearly 6 weeks, so I'm in a chair trying to learn as much as I can about CNC so when I get back in the shop I'll be ready to knock out some of the many projects I have in mind.
Ed

dealguy11
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Anderson Selexx 510,24x48 GCnC/WinCNC

Post by dealguy11 »

Machine bed can be the default if you like. It does require that you accurately measure the thickness of the material. The look of some toolpaths, like v-carving and 3d carving is very sensitive to making sure the top of the material is defined accurately. Measuring from the top can make that easier.

Having said that, I always go from the bed nowadays. It makes it less likely that I will get a mismatch between Aspire and the control system concerning Z0. I've gouged enough spoilboards and broken enough tools so that I'm willing to to the necessary measuring.
Steve Godding
Not all who wander (or wonder) are lost