Ton80 baby steps - Cabinet Door Templates

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
Ton80
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Shapeoko 3XXL / Carvewright RevB

Ton80 baby steps - Cabinet Door Templates

Post by Ton80 »

I don't know if this will help anyone at any point that is new like myself... but it might help me as others may look at the files and suggest a better way to do things if there is one.

So I started replicating a set of templates I use for cabinet doors I make. I did apply toolpaths to this before but since I really haven't delved too deep into that part of the project and tutorials, they don't exist in these versions of the files.. I am just going to verbalize what I did to get to this point. It was really easier than I thought once I found the 'h and v flip' functions were hidden in the Mirror icon.. ;)

Set up my material to the finish size and also for a 2sided project.

I drew some vectors out for what will be a cut-off along the top by first drawing lines and then trying to join up an ARC.. After fiddling around a bit I just erased and then drew the vector lines along the right and bottom edge and then made the turn in stopping it at 3". Then I drew a curved line from that end point to the top left corner. Then used the handles to make the arc... the radius isn't of concern so this seems to have worked for me. Then I joined those vectors using the common end point option

With the newly joined vector selected, I used the offset to create the inside vector. This will sometimes be used for a decorative rout that follows the outside edge of the doors. If it's not used.. I just won't assign a toolpath.

Then I flipped to the reverse side and used the excellent guides again to located my hinge cups.

Then I just copied the vectors from the front of the left template, created a new file and pasted, then flipped vertically.. That "flip function" part took me a while to find since I was looking for a more obvious "flip" function. It never occured to me to look for it under the mirror icon. But I see the power that function seems to have combined in there. I like it. I performed a mirror on the hinge cups vectors also and copied the mirror/flipped for pasting into the right door template.

It all seems to have created a very nice set of templates. The only thing I noticed that seems to need fixing is that little 90 degree jump I have coming back in from the outer edge of the door... the lines look like they are drawing in a way that isn't a true 90 degrees... is that just a glitch of the preview? I had the SNAP to Grid function turned on during all the vector drawing. I won't hurt to remake the files and pound this into my memory a little.
Attachments
Arch1_Left.crv
(26.5 KiB) Downloaded 95 times
Arch1_Right.crv
(26.5 KiB) Downloaded 74 times

Rcnewcomb
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: 24x36 GCnC/WinCNC with ATC

Re: Ton80 baby steps - Cabinet Door Templates

Post by Rcnewcomb »

Others cannot open files created in the trial version.

Posting screenshots may help.
- Randall Newcomb
10 fingers in, 10 fingers out, another good day in the shop

Ton80
Vectric Apprentice

Post by Ton80 »

I looked at those nodes on the 90 degree turn in and it does appear something happened and the snap either didn't work or the node somehow shifted ever so slightly. I'll just remake these and fix that part.

Ton80
Vectric Apprentice

Post by Ton80 »

Rcnewcomb wrote:Others cannot open files created in the trial version.

Posting screenshots may help.
Ahh.. didn't realize that..
well maybe I will just not post these until I buy the full version which I will be doing. Thanks for the heads up

I am still a windows noob... I have no idea where the heck the screenshots are being saved and if the PrtSc is even taking a screenshot.. lol. Mac has a shortcut to screenshot. I am sure it's easy here, but it's dinner time and I'm being called - lol

highpockets
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: PDJ Pilot Pro

Post by highpockets »

Ton80 wrote:
I am still a windows noob... I have no idea where the heck the screenshots are being saved and if the PrtSc is even taking a screenshot.. lol. Mac has a shortcut to screenshot. I am sure it's easy here, but it's dinner time and I'm being called - lol
Have a look at this link, should help with screenshots.
https://www.digitalcitizen.life/4-ways- ... uilt-tools
John
Maker of Chips

Ton80
Vectric Apprentice

Post by Ton80 »

lol.. I was wrong. Taking a SS on windows isn't that easy. Thanks for that article.. however absolutely nothing worked except the snippet thing. :roll:

SS attached.. as you can see this is stupid simple for most of you guys but I am very pleased how quickly I was able to make the template... almost got the template done faster than I finally got this silly screenshot taken.
Attachments
Left door template...
Left door template...

ger21
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Custom DIY

Post by ger21 »

Ton80 wrote:lol.. I was wrong. Taking a SS on windows isn't that easy. Thanks for that article.. however absolutely nothing worked except the snippet thing. :roll:
The Snipping Tool is super easy, and works great. Prior to it's existence, I always used PrtScn, then paste into an imaging app, crop and save. Still do at times, if I already have Photoshop open.
Gerry - http://www.thecncwoodworker.com

Makingtoothpicks
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Cncrouterparts CPR2448

Post by Makingtoothpicks »

I use prtscn .You just hit the button and open any paint program and paste.
I use Corel Paint and it has a function print from clipboard.

Don

wmgeorge
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Workbee 1000x750 Mach 4 PMDX Controller

Post by wmgeorge »

While you were posting (almost) the Snip Tool was done and in one step I had the attachment. Lots faster than the Print Screen thing.
CaptureSnip.PNG