sketchup model toolpaths

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
deanbaker
Model of CNC Machine: Shopbot

sketchup model toolpaths

Post by deanbaker »

I've successfully imported a relatively simple sketchup model into VCarve 8.020. However, when I try to create toolpaths, seemly ignores the simple vectors it could trace if I had created it IN Vcarve, and does the scanline/raster paths.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/zjlesbzPq3kUx6Cn1

It creates weird scalloped artifacts on straight lines that are parallel to the toolpath even.

Is there any way, when importing a 3D model (from sketchup/AutoCAD) to get the toolpaths to be based on the vectors of the model, so I can get smooth lines and edges?

any suggestions/guidance/help is greatly appreciated.

-dean

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Re: sketchup model toolpaths

Post by martin54 »

How have you imported it? not an expert & don't use sketchup but I believe there are both vector & bitmap imports from sketchup, if what you have imported is a bitmap then there won't be any vectors, if you had imported a vector based design then you would be able to select each vector the same way you would if you had drawn it in the vectric software :lol: :lol:

deanbaker

Post by deanbaker »

I imported it as a 3D model.

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

if you imported it as a 3D model then there won't be any vectors which is why you can't select them :lol: :lol:

Looking at your photo's I would think that it would machine better & faster if done using 2D toolpathing rather than 3D

Not sure if the forum will accept sketchup format but if you could attach the original sketchup files (copyright permitting) it might be helpful for one of the board experts to give you a better answer :lol: :lol:

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

Sketchup files work two ways in VCarve. If you import them using the Modelling tab or Model menu then you get a 3D component. If you import them using the Drawing tab or File menu then you get 2D vectors.

deanbaker

Post by deanbaker »

nope, .skp is not allowed.

so how are 3D models imported, if not as vectors defining the surfaces?

but yeah, it looks like I need to up my VCarve game and build it from there.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

Yes skp is allowed. Go to the File menu. Choose Import and then Import Vectors. That will import the 2D vectors from your Sketchup file.

If you import as a 3D model then it's created as a Vectric component which is a pixel based solid.

dealguy11
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Anderson Selexx 510

Post by dealguy11 »

I would generally not try to import Sketchup 3d models as I have found them to be of low resolution/quality. I do import Sketchup vectors on a regular basis. The thing to watch with the vectors is that curves will generally come in as segmented lines. You can get a better import from Sketchup if you right click on the curves in Sketchup and use the "Divide" function to increase the number of segments. Once the number of segments gets beyond a certain point, Aspire interprets the import as a curve rather than a bunch of lines.
Steve Godding
Not all who wander (or wonder) are lost