Help Getting a File ready to vcarve

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
davidclosson2
Model of CNC Machine: Axiom A4 Pro

Help Getting a File ready to vcarve

Post by davidclosson2 »

Hello and Happy Holidays to everyone. I was attempting to make something special for my Dad for Christmas. He has a coffee mug from when he was in the navy in the 60's. He was attached to the Naval air training wing VT 21. The coffee mug was too faded however I found an image of the official patch it was based off of. I paid someone to convert it to line art but I cannot get a good vcarve tool path off it to save my soul. I am uploading the file if anyone can assist me or even tell me where to start. This is the raw svg from the artist. I went through and tried to clean it up but I am a newbie and thought maybe that is where my issue is. I really wanted to make him this, if someone could at least tell me if its possible so I don't keep spinning my wheels I will be infinitely grateful, I've attached both copies of the file she gave me.

davidclosson2

Re: Help Getting a File ready to vcarve

Post by davidclosson2 »

It wouldn't let me attach the SVG files so her is the .crv
Attachments
vt121 forum.crv
(69.5 KiB) Downloaded 93 times

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

You're going to need to create more vectors to be able to get a decent VCarve out of that as a VCarve toolpath needs an inner and outer vector.

Depending on the look you want you may get an acceptable result by toolpathing with a profile toolpath set to be on the vector instead.

davidclosson2

Post by davidclosson2 »

Thanks Adrian, I don't really like the look of the profile version. I am afraid my skill set isn't up to snuff to make it vcarve ready. I am not even sure where to start.

Thanks again

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

What don't you like about using a profile cut on the line ? Have you played about trying different cut depths & different angled V bits or engraving bits?

Had a quick look at the file & to me it looks like those vectors still need some cleaning or tidying up before it is ready for a decent profile cut or Vcarve :lol: :lol:

Have you got a photo of the original artwork the vectors were created from ??