moulding wrong

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
Makingtoothpicks
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Cncrouterparts CPR2448

moulding wrong

Post by Makingtoothpicks »

I am trying to use the moulding tool path.It is doing something I cannot figure out how to fix.
I have learned a lot about the moulding tool reading the forum, but still new to it. Here is a
screen shot and the crv file. I would like to move the path lower and correct the cut it is making
on the lower part.
Attachments
Need fix.jpg
moulding.crv
(490.5 KiB) Downloaded 91 times

dealguy11
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Anderson Selexx 510

Re: moulding wrong

Post by dealguy11 »

I messed with your file a bit trying to see what was going on. I suggest sending it to Vectric support as there are some unexplainable problems:

1. You really should close the rail vectors for the sweep. Right now is 2 vectors. This can cause problems with cut direction, but it is not the source of issues here.

2. When you use a tool defined as a tapered ballnose, the program is creating odd bumps and lines that I can't explain. Changing to a 1/8" ballnose (not defined as tapered) gets rid of some of them. FWIW, in real life I use 1 degree tapered ballnose bits and don't bother to define them as tapered. There has been some discussion of that here before, but I've cut hundreds of models that way without noticeable problems.

3. There is another issue apparently related to the size of the rail vector. The points on the corners are not coming out nicely because of the interaction of the small corners with the profile. Tried modifying the profiles and still got odd shapes on the corner. If I make the rail (i.e., the plaque shape) bigger, these anomalies go away. Something is clearly not being calculated properly as the toolpaths are being created for these corners.
Steve Godding
Not all who wander (or wonder) are lost

Makingtoothpicks
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Cncrouterparts CPR2448

Re: moulding wrong

Post by Makingtoothpicks »

Thank you for looking. I did send a copy to Vectric. I am waiting for a reply.
The reason for 2 open vectors has to do with the direction the profile works.
I was having trouble getting the profile to go to the inside and then I saw a
post that stated to split the rail into 2 and the profile will go in. If it is a single
vector it will go out. on this I wanted to go in. I could round the corners. Just
need to convert to beziers I did not see the other errors but I will look at them.

Thank You
Don