Funny V bit cut

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
leversole
Model of CNC Machine: OX Type

Funny V bit cut

Post by leversole »

Trying to figure out what is causing this (it actually cuts this way too...I have the stepover for the Vbit at 25% with a 4% finish stepover, in the interior of the b for example, it is only making two cuts, it does not attempt to clear all of the material out.
VBitFunnyCut.jpg
VBitFunnyCut2.jpg
VBitFunnyCut3.jpg

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: -CarveWright CNC -ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha

Re: Funny V bit cut

Post by mtylerfl »

Are you toolpathing as a v-carve or as a pocket? (Should be v-carve)

Upload your file so we can take a look if you need more help.
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC
-ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha CNC

leversole

Post by leversole »

Here is a re creation...the clearance bit cant get into the letters, so I would think the v carve would take care of it with very small moves to make it as flat as possible...
test.crv
(189.5 KiB) Downloaded 124 times

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: -CarveWright CNC -ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha

Post by mtylerfl »

You can try setting your v-bit final pass stepover to 1% (it's currently set at 4%). That will clear out more material where your clearance tool won't fit.

Also, are you certain the bit geometry is set correctly for the v-bit you are using? The bit description says V-Bit (60 deg 0.250 inch), but you have a diameter setting of 0.62". I would have expected the diameter to be 0.25" based upon the bit description.
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC
-ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha CNC

leversole

Post by leversole »

Thanks, I guess the stepover was too wide, and I think the wrong diameter might have been screwing with it also...I changed the diameter and made the stepover 1%...it is cleaning it all out now...

Thanks!!!

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

a V bit comes to a point so you are always going to have problems trying to machine a flat surface unless you have a tiny stepover :lol: :lol:

You said in your first post that it actually cut that way as well, the toolpath preview is very accurate so as you could see the ridges in the preview then you should have expected it to machine that way :lol: :lol:

The preview is great for sorting problems like this out because you can experiment & make changes to tooling & settings for bits without having to actually cut anything saving wasted time & materials :lol: :lol: