carving not as shown - image reverse

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
Hitch
Vectric Apprentice

carving not as shown - image reverse

Post by Hitch »

I'm trying to carve an elongated rosette; however, during the roughing, the mirror image of what is shown in the VCarve program starts carving. I've done 3 other rosettes, but this one is not working. See attached picture. Where the bit goes left, off the wood surface should be reversed or mirror image as per the tool path shown in VCarve. I had this happen before and I compared the G-Code files between one that worked and one that didn't and there was no difference. Anyone got any ideas what would cause this.
Ron
Attachments
Med-2.jpg

FixitMike
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shark Pro Plus (retired)

Re: carving not as shown - image reverse

Post by FixitMike »

I have read that if the X and Y circuits are interchanged, the carving will be rotated 90 degrees and the image mirrored. If the G code files were identical, the problem is in the machine controls, not the software
Good judgement comes from experience.
Experience comes from bad judgement.

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

What control software are you using for your CNC machine? If you haven't made any changes within the control software or at the machine then I can't see how the gcode can be the same between one that carves correctly & one that doesn't,

Would be helpful if you could attach the CRV file (copyright permitting) although if it is showing correctly in the toolpath preview then it is unlikely to be a Vectric software problem :lol: :lol:

Hitch
Vectric Apprentice

Post by Hitch »

I used a linux program called "diff" to compare gcode files. The funny thing is that I have 4 rosette files and only one has a problem. They all look good in VCarve when running the tool path in slow motion. The parameters for each file are the same, just the 3d model is different. The postprocessors can be upgraded as well as the panel control software. This hasn't been done since I purchase the CNC in 2012. Only one upgrade since then. I will give this a try.