What causes this (extended corners)...

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
jglazer
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: X-Carve 1000x1000

What causes this (extended corners)...

Post by jglazer »

I notice that when I carve a simple rectangle with (in this case) a 1/4" endmill, the corners drift outside the vector. What causes this. See photo below inside the box (rough carve):
Attachments
IMG_20171201_223858656.jpg

4DThinker
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Shark Pro, Probotix Meteor 25" x 50"

Re: What causes this (extended corners)...

Post by 4DThinker »

Backlash is the only thing that I can think of that might cause what I see in your photo. When the bit changes direction, the drive shaft/belt/whatever slips until the threads/tension/whatever catches up, allowing your bit to slip back a bit causing the bulging corners.

4D

ger21
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Custom DIY

Post by ger21 »

Not just backlash, but flex in your machine. Which I guess may be considered to be a form of backlash?
When cutting inside corner, the bit is actually pulling itself into the corner.
Gerry - http://www.thecncwoodworker.com

jglazer
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: X-Carve 1000x1000

Post by jglazer »

What to do to fix? Tighten belts maybe?

Bonch
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Shapeoko

Post by Bonch »

You can try reducing your feedrate and depth of cut to reduce the stress on your machine. Bits deflect based upon how much stress you put on them. The more stress the more bend. When too much stress they either break or transfer that stress to the next weak area which may be your rails. At the end of the cut, those stresses get removed by either the rail or bit moving back close to their normal unstressed position which can cause over cutting or undercutting depending on what you are doing. I see you are using an X-carve. If it is an unmodified one, they have this problems alot according to their forums. Most people say the cut at a feedrate of 60 and DOC at .08. It appears those are maximums depend on the material. Check your settings against these and see where you fall. Experiment with scraps by varying these settings and see if it helps.
Last edited by Bonch on Sat Dec 02, 2017 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

Not familiar with your machine & there are a number of things that will cause backlash or bit deflection due to flex in the machine, first thing would be to try a less aggressive cut. It may be that you are trying to cut to quickly or to deeply per pass for your machine. Try slowing things down a bit &/or taking a smaller DOC :lol: :lol:

Never hurts to check the machine for anything loose that can cause a bit of free play either, be careful tightening belts as you can cause more problems if you over tighten them :lol: :lol:

ger21
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Custom DIY

Post by ger21 »

jglazer wrote:What to do to fix? Tighten belts maybe?
Get a better machine. There's not a lot you can do to make machines like an X Carve more rigid, without replacing components with bigger, heavier, and stronger ones. And every time you do that, the next weakest link flexes more.

Try doing a roughing cut a little inside your finished cut, so the final toolpath is removing a lot less material.
Gerry - http://www.thecncwoodworker.com

ElevationCreations
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: AVID PRO-Acorn , Shapeoko SO3 XXL & SO3s

Post by ElevationCreations »

You may want to post at the Inventables User Forum for feedback on what to check for on your machine.