Flat Table Dovetail Drawer System

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
mike.mills
Model of CNC Machine: Shopsabre Pro408

Flat Table Dovetail Drawer System

Post by mike.mills »

Does anyone have experience using the vortex bit for Flat Table Dovetail Drawer System

Here is a link to the bit.
https://www.vortextool.com/index.cfm?fu ... 5712F1017A

I am wondering how we would layout the the dovetails joint if we are using a bit like the one above. I am not sure if you could still use the dove tail gadget, but just indite the different bit?

I am looking for the easiest way to make dovtails without dogbones as I will have high school students doing this.

Help Please.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Re: Flat Table Dovetail Drawer System

Post by Adrian »

The dovetail gadget isn't going to work with bits like that as the dovetails made are totally different.

Going by the pictures of the joint I'd say you'd need to use the profile toolpath with the toolpaths for the pins and tails having different depths.

4DThinker
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Shark Pro, Probotix Meteor 25" x 50"

Post by 4DThinker »

Do you have any way to clamp boards vertically for CNCing on their ends? You can make a pseudo dovetail joint with just an end mill (straight bit) if you can.

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: -CarveWright CNC -ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha

Post by mtylerfl »

Hi 4D,

I don't think your photo matches up with what you could achieve with a straight bit.

You could make nice finger-joints with a straight bit and board clamped with the ends upright, though
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC
-ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha CNC

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Post by adze_cnc »

Hello Michael,

I suspect the tail board was cut horizontally and the pin board vertically. That should be how a straight bit can cut this.

Steven

4DThinker
Vectric Wizard

Post by 4DThinker »

mtylerfl wrote:Hi 4D,

I don't think your photo matches up with what you could achieve with a straight bit.

You could make nice finger-joints with a straight bit and board clamped with the ends upright, though
I made the box in that image I posted. Both sides of the joint were done with an end mill. It was made to be a sample to show our students that take furniture design classes.

While we can also make finger joints of all variations, the most often requested joint is the one shown in the photo, or actual dovetail joints (full or half blind or half blind mitered, etc..

4D

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: -CarveWright CNC -ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha

Post by mtylerfl »

Thanks, 4D and Steven! My apologies!

I was still convinced it was impossible to accomplish those dovetails without the radius of the straight end mill/bit coming into play. The photo on my iPhone looked like the joint had no radius anywhere.

Well, duh! I zoomed in and now see the radius left by the end mill! I totally missed that before zooming in!

Of course one can create a dovetail joint with the straight end mill if the radius doesn't matter (it doesn't matter to me - it's clean, strong and pretty). Also, (I know you already know) you can use an actual dovetail bit using the clamp on end method too, but both tail and pin boards are done on end up, naturally.
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC
-ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha CNC

mike.mills
Model of CNC Machine: Shopsabre Pro408

Post by mike.mills »

I do not have away to hold material Vertically. I do have room in the table between structural supports to put a slot in the table. I would just need to make or find a way to hold the material while it is being cut. Does anyone have any ideas on good fixtures or jigs to hold the work?

Thanks Mike

4DThinker
Vectric Wizard

Post by 4DThinker »

mike.mills wrote:I do not have away to hold material Vertically. I do have room in the table between structural supports to put a slot in the table. I would just need to make or find a way to hold the material while it is being cut. Does anyone have any ideas on good fixtures or jigs to hold the work?

Thanks Mike
This is my solution, a version 3 (maybe 4?) after previous fixtures that were harder to install or didn't work as well:
http://4dfurniture.blogspot.com/2016/04 ... mping.html

4D