Paint

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
naijin
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: home made

Paint

Post by naijin »

Hi there all you sign makers and model makers, a question on the type of paint to use when painting carved signs and models, and the type of paint brushes or spray units?.
Any information will be greatly appreciated.

Regards
Nick

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Re: Paint

Post by adze_cnc »

If you're asking for the one magic formula of paint (latex or alkyd?), brush (natural or synthetic fibre), and method (paint 1st and carve through or paint after) you won't get it as it doesn't exist. If you're asking for people's chosen method you might get one for each person who responds.

My suggestion would be do a bit of research from a reputed source such as Bob Flexner (or Matt Kenney or Christopher Schwarz). I'd expect one of Flexner's books such as "Wood Finishing 101" or "Understanding Wood Finishing" might be at your local lending library. That's what I do when I need to explore a new finishing option.

AlbertaClipper
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Home Built

Post by AlbertaClipper »

What is this "book" you speak of? And where on the internet might I find it? :wink:

ger21
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Custom DIY

Post by ger21 »

Gerry - http://www.thecncwoodworker.com

newmexico
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Shopbot

Post by newmexico »

IMG_0269.jpg
IMHO, we try to avoid detail painting with the brush. So...
... Gel Stains to the rescue!

We can push and shove and swab Gel Stains down inside those vcarved letters. Then scrape of the excess and you have a finished project.

Also IMHO, we must agree with adze_cnc that there are too many options in paint (many yet to be discovered) to single out here. The Gel Stain approach is only one of many. As an example, we are experimenting with cutting out individual words and graphics in a sign. We are breaking the sign up into individual elements, painting each then gluing them to a board. This approach is proving exceptionally helpful with our sign making.

cws
Model of CNC Machine: Shark Pro

Post by cws »

When I make signs I use spray ink. First I cut the letters and then use spray shellac to cover the entire surface. Next use the spray ink to spray the letters. After it dries I set my jointer at the minimum depth and run it across the jointer. This removes the over spray and allows you to finish the sign with whatever you would like.

naijin
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: home made

Post by naijin »

Thank you all for the replies I think I may look at gel stain method, sounds simple enough.

Nick