Standard tool library

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
dryphi
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot Desktop

Standard tool library

Post by dryphi »

Hi, new to the forum and relatively new to VCarve.

I am curious if there is a "standard" tool library with a bunch of tools available for download somewhere? I would prefer to just select a tool rather than entering all the information such as feeds and speeds myself. I understand this would vary by material, but because these settings affect virtually everyone that uses VCarve I was hoping there was just a library file for download with a variety of tools available. As a newbie I don't want to enter an incorrect value somewhere and break my tool and/or mess up my part (although I'm sure this will happen, perhaps many times).

Something similar to the following would be quite helpful and make VCarve even easier to use:
https://support.bantamtools.com/hc/en-u ... -and-Feeds
At the bottom under "Sample Feeds and Speeds" are links to library files with tools for each material type.

We are using VCarve Pro ShopBot Edition to generate gcode from SolidWorks 3D models and other files for use on a ShopBot Desktop. I also did not seem to get the clipart library with our version of VCarve.
Thanks

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Re: Standard tool library

Post by Adrian »

The software comes with a standard library of tools but all the information apart from the actual size has to be changed to suit your machine. The feeds and speeds vary depending on the machine, material, make of tool, age of tool and other factors so a library from someone else wouldn't be of much use to you.

The feeds and speeds I use for my ShopBot Alpha would most likely stall or even damage your Desktop so you can see there is more to take account of than just the material.

Learning the correct settings for your own setup and tools (usually based on chipload charts) is part of the learning curve of CNC.

dryphi
Vectric Apprentice

Post by dryphi »

What tools come in the standard library of tools? I feel like a very limited set came with ours.

That's fine, I'm willing to learn, I just want something to start with. The feeds and speeds were just an example, entering the tool geometry etc. is tedious and it would be nice if there was something already there.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

3 end mills, 3 ball noses, 3 v-bits, 2 form tools, 1 engraving bit, 1 drag bit, 1 drill bit. All in metric and imperial.

I bet the number of tools you think you will use is nowhere near the amount you actually will. When I first started using the software back in 2006 I spent hours setting up every tool I owned in the database. 11 years later and I've used less than 10. That's with running two CNC businesses in that period and countless personal projects.

dryphi
Vectric Apprentice

Post by dryphi »

I'm looking to machine some small rounded pockets and slots in acrylic with a 1mm ball-nose end mill, maybe roughing with a 1.5mm or so flat end mill first. I'll have to look again (it's on another machine) but I think the smallest in the library was 1/16"?

ger21
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Custom DIY

Post by ger21 »

Just add what you need.
Gerry - http://www.thecncwoodworker.com

Rcnewcomb
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: 24x36 GCnC/WinCNC with ATC

Post by Rcnewcomb »

I'm looking to machine some small rounded pockets and slots in acrylic with a 1mm ball-nose end mill, maybe roughing with a 1.5mm or so flat end mill first. I'll have to look again (it's on another machine) but I think the smallest in the library was 1/16"?
The easiest way is to
1. select a tool that is closest to what you want
2. Click Copy in the tool database dialog
3. Change the name of the tool
4. Change the diameter of the tool (Many people have forgotten this step and then wonder why parts aren't the right size. Ask me how I know)
5. Change the pass depth if needed
6. Change the feeds and speeds if needed
7. Click OK to save your changes
ToolCopy.PNG
- Randall Newcomb
10 fingers in, 10 fingers out, another good day in the shop

dryphi
Vectric Apprentice

Post by dryphi »

Rcnewcomb wrote: The easiest way is to
1. select a tool that is closest to what you want
2. Click Copy in the tool database dialog
3. Change the name of the tool
4. Change the diameter of the tool (Many people have forgotten this step and then wonder why parts aren't the right size. Ask me how I know)
5. Change the pass depth if needed
6. Change the feeds and speeds if needed
7. Click OK to save your changes
Awesome thanks that's what I've been doing. What's a good reference for the feeds and speeds? Also I was getting a warning about the tolerance (I think that's what it's called, not one of the tool settings) - I guess I just need to decrease that to <10% of the tool diameter?

Rcnewcomb
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: 24x36 GCnC/WinCNC with ATC

Post by Rcnewcomb »

What's a good reference for the feeds and speeds?
Onsrud Feeds and Speeds Landing Page
- Randall Newcomb
10 fingers in, 10 fingers out, another good day in the shop