Surface to a desired height

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
Paul Stewart
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Scratch Built

Surface to a desired height

Post by Paul Stewart »

Been a while since i'v posted but need some help with a issue i ran into.
Problem is this i have blocks that are glued up to various heights and widths and need to be mill them to 6" in total height
the blocks may vary up to more than and inch (6.25" to 7") in height
what i need to do is to be able is surface the top of the block to 6" without have to re-zero my tool (i zero to the spoil board)
then be able to cut 1" steps into the block (these are glued up in various widths and then cut on the cnc for accuracy
the steps need to be within +0.0 -.015" spec.
The idea is to zero off the spoil board bring bit up to the top of the block and mill down to where the
block would be 6" tall and then have it start to cut out the steps without have to re-zero (do everything in one step)

Hope this makes since and thanks in advance for the help

see attached v-carve ver8.xx file
Attachments
Test Block.crv
Test block crv file
(290 KiB) Downloaded 89 times

FixitMike
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shark Pro Plus (retired)

Re: Surface to a desired height

Post by FixitMike »

How thick are the blocks? If not too thick, I would consider cutting the outline with about 1/8" extra material while the block are on their sides, and then finishing them as described. Be sure the final pass is only .04" or so to reduce tool and machine deflection. Check that there is sufficient side clearance for the router and Z carriage when cutting the lower steps.
Good judgement comes from experience.
Experience comes from bad judgement.

Leo
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 1300 x 1300 x 254 Chinese Made

Re: Surface to a desired height

Post by Leo »

1) You can make a simple fixture to hold the block in a fixed position whereas the corner will be at lower left corner

2) Assume the thickest block

3) Set zero on the table top (bottom of block)

4) in Vectric you will make 6 pocketing tool paths
A) Top of block to mill off the 7" down to 6" - the blocks that are less than 7" will cut air on the first few cuts
B) Next pocket will be to cut the 5" step
C) Next 4"
D) 3"

5) Post all the tool paths to one file

6) The entire program will mill the top and each subsequent step in order posted

7) Don't change anything - just change the part in the fixture and run the program again.
Imagine the Possibilities of a Creative mind, combined with the functionality of CNC