Cut Depth Issues

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
leversole
Model of CNC Machine: OX Type

Cut Depth Issues

Post by leversole »

Experiencing what appears to be a different (deeper) depth on the cleanup cut...

Using VCare desktop, Vcarve toolpath with a flat area clearance clearance tool, as the pictures show, it looks like the final flat area clearance pass is deeper. THis only happens on wood, when I cut the same file in MDF, it is smooth as silk...which made me think the wood may be bowing up, but it does not appear to be any deeper at the edges (where the clamps are). My depth of cut is .070". My machine Z axis (ballscrew) is repeatable all day to less than .0015", and there is no measurable slop anywhere.

Was going to try another cut at .050 and see if it changes, was also going to try a raster cut, but dont think that will make a difference because it still uses a final pass with the clearance tool.

Thanks!
image1.JPG
image2.JPG

leversole

Re: Cut Depth Issues

Post by leversole »

Update: It is very faint, but doing the same thing on the MDF...

Timvmax
Vectric Wizard

Post by Timvmax »

Could it be that the wood you are cutting is very tough compared to MDF?
The cutter could be rubbing instead of cutting. Have you tried a different speed?

leversole

Post by leversole »

Funny you should mention that...I think it was two things, I tried two changes at once, so one or both fixed it....I feel like a dummy! At some point I stopped using 4 clamps for the work and only used two at opposite corners...as I was watching the cut and experimenting, I noticed the wood moving ever so slightly on the unclamped corners!!!!

I clamped the workpiece with four clamps, and slowed the feedrate from 70ipm to 45ipm (.07" DOC 1/8" upcut) and the marks are GONE!!! I never thought about the feedrate because I watch my chip size and my bits never get hot, even after an hour cut I can handle the bit as it is only slightly warm!

So the clamping was probably the primary issue! Your work should NOT move! Haha! :roll: :roll: :roll:

Thanks for the response!