Software Upgrade worth it? How can you afford it?

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
chadweberg
Model of CNC Machine: Shark Plus Pro HD

Software Upgrade worth it? How can you afford it?

Post by chadweberg »

I'm currently running VCarve Pro 7.5. The upgrades are very expensive. Its is worth it? I use it for a very small dying business/hobby.

Thanks

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Re: Software Upgrade worth it? How can you afford it?

Post by Adrian »

The answer I always give in these situations is only you can really answer if it's worth it or not. You can download and run the trial version alongside your current version so you can see what it can do.

Think of your current workflow and if there's anything that would improve that. For me the Merged Toolpath feature is worth the cost several times over as it saves me at least an hour and often two a day.

By the far biggest change between 7.5 and current versions is the ability to machine 3D models. That could open all sorts of possibilities but, again, only you know if that would apply to you.

Leo
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 1300 x 1300 x 254 Chinese Made

Post by Leo »

Is it worth it?

well - to ME it is.

To my friend, that does not use a CNC machine and has no idea what to do with it - NO - it is not worth it.

How do you justify if it is worth it or not?

Version 9 has more features than version 7, 3D toolpathing is one of them.
Imagine the Possibilities of a Creative mind, combined with the functionality of CNC

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

As Adrian has already said each individual has to decide if the upgrade is worth it for themselves, no one else can really make that decision for you.
Look at the new features the upgrade gives you & how they may affect the work you currently do & also any new work that you might be able to do if you had the new features. That will help with your decision.
I run some software that is quite old because it does everything I need it to & none of the features added to newer versions would really benefit me, yes it would be nice to upgrade to have the latest version but for me with that software I can't justify the cost just for the luxury of being up to date :lol:

As far as my Vectric software is concerned then Yes the upgrade from V7.5 to V8 was not only worth it but I thought very very good value for money, V7.5 to V8 gave me the ability to machine 3D models directly & came with a lot of 3D models built in that I could use as Adrian has already said.
Just as importantly the step up from 32 bit to 64 bit for me was a big time saver in the work that I already did & knew it would also save me a lot of time with the 3D toolpathing that was also being introduced.

As Adrian has said, download the latest trial version & have a look for yourself, there have been some big changes since V7.5, not just new features but also additions/improvements to existing features which may be of benefit to you :lol: :lol: :lol:

dhellew2
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Legacy Artisan 72 and AVID CNC Rotary

Post by dhellew2 »

As Leo and Adrian said, it is a matter of what your priorities are.

Unlike some I am retired, not in it for the money, but I still value the changes and improvements. Compared to most software, the update cost is moderate and the improvements and changes are worth more than the upgrade cost.

Bottom line, only you can decide what is best for you within your budget.

Good luck in your decision,

Dale
You will get old if you live long enough!
Young = time, no money
Old = money, no time
Dale

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Post by adze_cnc »

My philosophy on the tools I use: buy the best tool you can afford---when you need it.