cutting plaques/trophy aluminum

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
engraver99
Model of CNC Machine: Millright Carve King

cutting plaques/trophy aluminum

Post by engraver99 »

I am trying to cut .02-.03 inch thick aluminum for shapes and am not having much luck. I am using a dwp611 router with 1/8" fishtail endmill - 2 flute. Had my router set on it's highest level and speeds at about 40-50" per minute (small 18"x18" cnc). I sandwiched 3 pieces of aluminum between 2 pieces of wood - screwed them onto my spoil board and as soon as the bit hits the aluminum it is grabbing it not cutting it. This was the recommended bit to use by a toolmaker but it has not worked. I can't use glue or other types of fasteners as the aluminum is pre-treated. Anyone have any ideas how I can custom cut my aluminum pieces.

thanks in advance.

Kevin

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Re: cutting plaques/trophy aluminum

Post by Adrian »

There are lots of threads on the forum about cutting aluminium as it comes a few times each month. Here's one http://forum.vectric.com/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=27865

I also found this web page handy when I had a go at cutting ali as well - https://stepcraft.us/aluminumspeedfeed/

Mobius
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CRP Pro 4848 Custom Build

Post by Mobius »

Kevin, are you asking for a better way to hold down the material or advice on cutting the aluminum? Have you tried using double sided tape to help hold the aluminum to the wood? I use carpet tape, as it is relatively cheap and then with decent tack.
Connor Bredin
Distinctive Dimensional Concepts Ltd.
www.distinctive-concepts.ca

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

Haven't looked at the link Adrian posted but speed & feed settings are more critical with aluminium & plastics than they are for wood, does the bit you have purchased give recommended settings for Aluminium or chip loads ?
Grade of aluminium is also a factor, low grades are very gummy & chip extraction is also important to prevent rewelding of chips :lol: :lol:

engraver99

Post by engraver99 »

Yes-looking for anything that will help me cut shapes. The aluminum sheets I get are for plaque engraving or sublimation. The sheet stock ranges between .02 and .03 inches thick (extremely thin) AND to make things worse are covered with a protective plastic sheet. I can't afix tape to it to hold down as I have to be able to sublimate or engrave on it after I cut the shape. It bends with the slightest resistance. I also can't dip it in chemicals to remove any adhesive as some of the stock is treated for sublimation or has a coating on it. I tried sandwiching it between wood but it kept lifting I think due to the wrong type of bit used. I was told the bit I used did not allow for any shavings to be removed and needed and upcut bit. I read a thread here where someone was cutting .05" thick aluminum and was using an "O" spiral upcut bit - Onsrud 65-010 to cut his stuff. I have ordered some of those to try. Unfortunately plaque and trophy aluminum is not like the blocks you can make parts from. I'll explore any ideas you guys have from holding it down to cutting it - as all mine are based on logic not experience!. Thanks in advance

engraver99

Post by engraver99 »

Adrian wrote:There are lots of threads on the forum about cutting aluminium as it comes a few times each month. Here's one http://forum.vectric.com/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=27865

I also found this web page handy when I had a go at cutting ali as well - https://stepcraft.us/aluminumspeedfeed/
thanks for the links. They didn't really cover my type of aluminum but they all seem to be using an upcut bit. So I will try one of those as my search lead me to a guy who cuts .05" aluminum (twice the thicjness I need to do) and uses an osrud 65-010 upcut spiral - so gonna give that a try. Thanks for your help.