Roland EGX-300

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
engraver99
Model of CNC Machine: Millright Carve King

Roland EGX-300

Post by engraver99 »

I have a Roland EGX-300 I am trying to use with vcarve desktop version (latest version). I am using an old Dell XPS 400 using XP operating system. I have an IBM serial/parallel - USB converter which runs the engraver fine on USB2 in Dr Engrave. When running a simple text job to the engraver thru the Roland 300 post processor I get nothing. It does not seem to matter if it is spooled or not spooled (sent direct to machine). It works under Rolands own software - Dr. Engrave and Vectric makes other software for Roland so I can't figure out why it is not operating in Vcarve. Any ideas?

Any Ideas or does someone have any setting I can use that work? thanks

mikeacg
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger, Sidewinder, SB 4x4

Re: Roland EGX-300

Post by mikeacg »

I will be interested in what you find out. I have a Roland Modela MDX-20 that I used to drive right out of Aspire but since I moved I haven't been able to make it work. Can't even get communication from my little scanner. I'm pretty sure I have the correct cable and I can get it to cut simple shapes with Dr. Engrave but nothing from Aspire. Any thought to post-processor being an issue? I was thinking of maybe going back to an earlier version of Aspire to see if I could get it working...

Mike

tomgardiner
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: FMT Patriot 4 x8

Post by tomgardiner »

If you make a simple toolpath and post process with V-carve and Dr Engrave can you open both files in a text editor to view the code? That way you could see the difference between the header and footer of the files and be able to edit the PP for use.

Tom

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

Probably best to contact vectric support directly, don't think the Roland machines run gcode the same as a cnc router does. Not sure if that makes any difference as I assume the post processor converts it into what ever the machine needs to run it :lol: :lol:

engraver99

Post by engraver99 »

tomgardiner wrote:If you make a simple toolpath and post process with V-carve and Dr Engrave can you open both files in a text editor to view the code? That way you could see the difference between the header and footer of the files and be able to edit the PP for use.

Tom
that is a great idea, going to try that tomorrow to see what they say

thanks Tom

engraver99

Post by engraver99 »

martin54 wrote:Probably best to contact vectric support directly, don't think the Roland machines run gcode the same as a cnc router does. Not sure if that makes any difference as I assume the post processor converts it into what ever the machine needs to run it :lol: :lol:
I have contacted support...waiting to hear. thanks

engraver99

Post by engraver99 »

I received a reply from vectric. They basically stated that I should contact Roland for the original software (which is old and not available or buy Roland's new s/w). They had no interest it seems in getting the post processor that is listed in vcarve to work. Roland won't support the machine for things that are not still listed in their store. I basically bought vcarve s/w as it listed the PP for the egx-300 and would also work(supposedly) with my cnc (it does). Tried to kill 2 birds one stone - one s/w learning experience. Not to be! I suggested they remove that machine (egx-300) from their PP list if they had no intentions of supporting it or making sure it works before including it. Unfortunately, I tried the trial version but it does not allow output to the PP so you don't even know if it will work before you buy it. Kind of misleading in my book! If your PP is listed, they should support it or make sure it works prior to publishing. End Result - Engravelab ver 9 purchased - Tested - and works. I still may try trophy and plaque engraving with my cnc as a back-up tho bu I have read people are having problems with engraving tool paths - so we'll see. Sorry I couldn't be of more help to anyone else who has a egx-300 but time is money so went with a solution that is supported and works.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

The trial version does allow output. The sample files and most (if not all) of the free projects can be cut with the trial version.

LittleGreyMan
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 3 axis small size machine

Post by LittleGreyMan »

To add my 2 cents to Adrian's reply, it's perfectly clear on Vectric's download page:

"The trial versions of our software let you evaluate each programs capability and see how easy they are to use. Sample files are included which can be machined to test compatibility with your CNC."
Best regards

Didier

W7 - Aspire 8.517

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

You could have tested both your CNC & the Roland with the trial Version before purchasing as has already been said.

Did you try any of the other Roland post processors ? Often there is little if any change between models so it is worth trying some of the other post processors listed for Roland machines :lol: :lol: