Vcarve Inlay Rough Pass Cut Depth

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
TonyMemphis
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Router Parts Standard 2448

Vcarve Inlay Rough Pass Cut Depth

Post by TonyMemphis »

I found that when creating a path for an inlay (male side) and I use a clearance tool, the depth of pass is set to the overall depth in one pass. So, I am using a 1/4" end mill for my clearance tool. The tool is set to a max depth per pass of 0.125", but Vcarve sets the pass to 0.200 anyway! That was a surprise when it started cutting. I tried everything I could think of to fix it, but nothing worked. Any ideas. Is this operator ignorance or a bug?

Using the latest version. My material is 11 by 11. I draw a circle with a diameter of ~5 and another offset by 3/16". I draw a rectangle around the circle. Pick all three, then create a Vcarve path using a 1/4 end mill and a 60° tool. Start and flat depth both set to 0.1".

I guess I could create my own clearance path offset from the original lines a bit.

Thanks,

Tony

Rcnewcomb
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: 24x36 GCnC/WinCNC with ATC

Re: Vcarve Inlay Rough Pass Cut Depth

Post by Rcnewcomb »

Start and flat depth both set to 0.1".
The start depth is why you are seeing this behavior..
If the start depth is 0.1" and the tool has a max pass depth of 0.125" then 0.1+0.125 = 0.225" is possible, so 0.200 is allowed.
Does that make sense?
- Randall Newcomb
10 fingers in, 10 fingers out, another good day in the shop

sharkcutup
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shark HD3 Pro Extended Bed with Spindle

Post by sharkcutup »

You could think of it this way too!

Tool Settings are Incremental Cutting STANDARDS for a given Tool and all other Toolpath settings are OVERRIDES

If you were to leave the Cutting Depths within the VCarve/Engraving Toolpath to both 0.0 the program would use the TOOL SETTING STANDARD of .250"

Now lets say your TOOL SETTINGS Pass Depth is .250"

In your VCarve/Engraving Toolpath you put a start depth of 0.0 and flat depth of .125"
It will cut only to .125" which overrides the Tool STANDARD Pass Depth of .250" and only cuts to .125"

Now if in your VCarve/Engraving Toolpath you put a start depth of 0.1" and flat depth of 0.1" (.200" max depth)
Again It will cut only to .200" which overrides the Tool STANDARD Pass Depth of .250" and only cuts to .200"

Hope this makes sense!!!

Note: The START depth is there so you do not have to be cutting air in an area/location that is already cut before you get the area/location needed to be cut.

Sharkcutup
V-Carve Pro Tips, Gadget Tips & Videos
YouTube Channel - Sharkcutup CNC
V-Carve Pro 11.554

Xett
Model of CNC Machine: Shapeoko 3 XXL

Post by Xett »

Bringing up a slightly old thread, but this is a question I've been trying to crack for a while:

Does anybody have a brilliant solution to pre-clear the "empty" material in the top of the inlay's work created by using the start-depth required for the vcarve inlay geometry to mesh? As many have pointed out, this causes rather large (and unavoidable) plunges for the inlays which can be quite hard on small bits.

Is there maybe a mathematical way, given the tool angle and cut/start/flat depths to determine where in the vertical "block" the bottom (or top, depending on your pov) of the inlay begins? Doing a clearance pass TO the start depth tends to knock the bottoms (deepest part) of the inlay off, losing some of the glue surface, so that doesn't seem to be the answer.

Any ideas?

ElevationCreations
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: AVID PRO-Acorn , Shapeoko SO3 XXL & SO3s

Post by ElevationCreations »

What works for me is to lay out the Z axis profile and determine where you can pocket for the limitations of the machine for the inlay male toolpath. Determine which tools, depth of pockets, etc. then run the pockets in sequence then V bit.

tvannaman2000
Model of CNC Machine: X-Carve

Post by tvannaman2000 »

ElevationCreations wrote:What works for me is to lay out the Z axis profile and determine where you can pocket for the limitations of the machine for the inlay male toolpath. Determine which tools, depth of pockets, etc. then run the pockets in sequence then V bit.
Can you elaborate on this? I'm having the same problems... with a start depth of .1", it wants to jam the bit down .1" + the normal doc which for me is .04". Once that first pass is complete, all other passes are at .04" and things work great.

I tried created a pocket from 0" -> .1", but in doing that, I lose some material that could be filling the pocket.

tvannaman2000
Model of CNC Machine: X-Carve

Post by tvannaman2000 »

The company itself proposes the solution of having a start depth of .1" yet doesn't show you the actual cutting part or how they address the deeper starting depth in their video's.

Oldmanofgf
Model of CNC Machine: Probiotix meteor 26x50

Post by Oldmanofgf »

Go to YouTube do a search for VCarve inlay and watch the video by Greg’s Garage (I tryed to copy the link but for some reason it didn’t work)this video explanes thing different and show him marching the parts maybe this will help
Glenn

ElevationCreations
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: AVID PRO-Acorn , Shapeoko SO3 XXL & SO3s

Post by ElevationCreations »

On a larger machine with a heavier gantry the first plunge depth is a non issue, so you have to figure out how to work around the limitations of the lighter duty machine. Unfortunately due to workload I won’t have time to draw it up for a few weeks. The challenge is how to pocket the male inlay down to the start depth without removing inlay material, then run the clearance toolpath for the v-inlay.

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Post by adze_cnc »

Glenn, this one? https://youtu.be/WMD3SrP7Vxk

Steven

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard

Post by adze_cnc »

tvannaman2000 wrote:I'm having the same problems... with a start depth of .1", it wants to jam the bit down .1" + the normal doc which for me is .04". Once that first pass is complete, all other passes are at .04" and things work great.

I tried created a pocket from 0" -> .1", but in doing that, I lose some material that could be filling the pocket.
I have had no problem with material loss using a pocket down to the start level of the v-carve toolpath. The two GIF files attached appear identical. One is a simulation with and one without pre-pocketing but with the same other toolpaths. Perhaps I don't quite get what the problems reported here are?

My CRV files are attached if you want to check them out. The "pre-score" path in the pocket.crv file was using a down-cut bit to pre-score birch the plywood to avoid "porcupining".

Steven
Attachments
.1 inch starting depth: no pre-pocketing
.1 inch starting depth: no pre-pocketing
.1 inch starting depth: pre-pocketed to avoid initial cut of .2 inches
.1 inch starting depth: pre-pocketed to avoid initial cut of .2 inches
synth plug.crv
(1.11 MiB) Downloaded 97 times
synth pocket.crv
(1.01 MiB) Downloaded 89 times

Oldmanofgf

Post by Oldmanofgf »

Steven that’s the right Vedic don’t know if it will help but it explains thing a little different than Vectrics
Glenn

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard

Post by adze_cnc »

Vedic? Of and pertaining to the Indian Veda texts? Or auto-correct gone mad?

Oldmanofgf

Post by Oldmanofgf »

It’s my typing. I have no feeling in my hands do to a major injury many years ago lucky I can use them at all but I won’t give up. I try to use spell Checker but sometimes I forget.
Glenn

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard

Post by adze_cnc »

I have a thumb tip that I inadvertently tried, thankfully unsuccessfully, to chop off with a very sharp kitchen knife. Not having much feeling in it is annoying enough; I can't imagine how it must be to have that problem in an entire hand. That you "won't give up" is inspiring. If I ever have a debilitating injury I hope that I have the strength to overcome it.

Steven