Networking Query

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
BernieNUFC
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: High Z 720

Networking Query

Post by BernieNUFC »

Sorry but really could not see where else to put this and since it does revolve around VCarve (the very latest Version and upgrades).
After many errors where i did the drawing on the Win 10 PC in the house and putting them onto a flash drive, where i copied to a laptop in the garage also Win 10 and opened the files that i was wanting to cut as a reference and off we would go, no probs there.
After many to and fro and losing where i was or having dozens of duplicated drawings i created a home network and this seemed to be my answer, by working on the file in the house and then going into the garage to cut.
Inevitably i had to make a change to a drawing whilst in the garage and it was then that i found that i could not see the file that i had changed on the PC indoors. I copied the new file to the Flash Drive then to the home PC worked on it and copied it back to the garage laptop and hey presto it was there visible on the home PC.
Every time i editit a file tho i found i could not see it on the network and i have spent days and days trying to sus it out, weeks in fact.
So tonight i loaded the V9 onto the laptop i use for everyday general surfing etc and i could see the files on the garage laptop ok, so now i have virtually 3 identical set-ups. I went to the garage and changed a file in VCarve, sure enough it dissapeared again from the main PC but the laptop that i had just upgraded could see the file no problem, the next bit was even stranger in that i edited that same file in VCarve and as soon as i saved it it became visible on the main PC again.
i Cannot say if it does it with other programs because these 2 are dedicated for VCarve.
Please any ideas before i wear the living room carpet out?
Thanks load Bernie
VCarve Pro v9.012
High-Zs 720- Kress 1050 router ( CNC-Step DE version)

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Re: Networking Query

Post by Adrian »

VCarve will keep the file handle active until it's closed or another file is saved. Try saving the file and then closing VCarve completely before checking.

I use a network between the office and workshop but I don't run Aspire in the workshop as I never make changes to the files there. I generate the cut files and they are loaded from the network into the controller PC.

Leo
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 1300 x 1300 x 254 Chinese Made

Post by Leo »

Bernie, YES - I feel your pain.

I love how the networking works - WHEN - it works.

Microsoft is not really our friend with home networking. sometimes it's easy and sometimes NOT.

I wish I could walk you through, but alas, I tend to wear out the carpet also as I try to make it work. I win, usually, but I never remember the settings.

I should screen capture the setting that work and save it.

Hope you finally win.

One thing to note - it is not a good idea to be in the shop and try to work on a file that is on some other computer through the network.
Imagine the Possibilities of a Creative mind, combined with the functionality of CNC

BernieNUFC
Vectric Craftsman

Post by BernieNUFC »

Thanks Guys

The file is not only closed but everything closed to the point of just the desktop open only.
Leo: the file in question is on the laptop directly connected to the cutter, i only work on the file at that moment i f i spot something needs changing to affect the cut there and then, most of the work is done from the house when creating or updating files that are not live cutting, in fact i dont even connect to the laptop whilst it is cutting just in case it interrupts it, i usually have the network maps disconnected for that time.

Cheers,and yes i think MS have an awful lot to answer for :-)
VCarve Pro v9.012

Pete Cyr
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger II

Post by Pete Cyr »

There are probably other processes that will work but the following is what I do.

I have Aspire installed on a desktop in my house.
I have wincnc, (cnc software) installed on a separate desktop in my shop.

I have an Ethernet network setup between my shop and the house. I ran a hard wire. I have a wireless router in the house up stairs which I ran to a switch downstairs - hard wired to a wireless router in the Shop - hardwired to the Shop desktop.
This gives me excellent connectivity and no issue with wireless for the sake of my work. You can run an Ethernet cable (cat5/6) 100 meters or 328 feet with out having to boost the signal.
I created shared folders on my house desktop that the shop desktop can see and access

I connect the computers in the shop and the house using the installed MS software "remote connect". There is other software you can use but you have to purchase.
I typically design/create using the house desktop. After I m finished I save my file and tap in a shared folder on the house desktop that can be accessed by the Shop desktop.
When in the shop I copy the tap file from the shared drive to the Shop desktop and run from the Shop desktop.
If I need to edit my file, I open Aspire on the house desktop via remote connect and modify as necessary - then save in the shared folder. - exit remote connect, open the shared folder and copy the revised tap file onto the Shop desktop.

I have several directories/folders on my house desktop that I shared with my Shop desktop and I shared all of my Shop desktop with my house desktop.
The only time I have to walk back to the house is when I forget to power on the Hose desktop.
This also how I control my laser as well just different software.

When using remote connect the Shop Computer is functioning as a remote terminal or vice-a-versa

highpockets
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: PDJ Pilot Pro

Post by highpockets »

I gave up on the sneaker net, Microsoft's share and Onedrive. I'm now using Dropbox and all is going great!!!
John
Maker of Chips

ElevationCreations
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: AVID PRO-Acorn , Shapeoko SO3 XXL & SO3s

Post by ElevationCreations »

We use a USB drive connected to our Wireless Router to store and share files for the CNC’s and between computers. Map the shared drive to your computer. We Gave up on Dropbox and OneDrive, it was creating some issues when we were trying to run gCode files stored on there.

dealguy11
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Anderson Selexx 510

Post by dealguy11 »

I've been using Dropbox for this for years.
Steve Godding
Not all who wander (or wonder) are lost

gkas
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Aspire, Axiom AR8 Pro+, Axiom 4.2W Laser

Post by gkas »

The best solution I've found with Win10 is for my office and shop PCs to both have a shared 'CNC' folder. I had the same problems with invisible files and problem transfers. If I'm in the office I can PUT my gcode files in my shop 'CNC/CARVE' folder. If i'm in the shop, i can GET the files from the office PC. Works great now.

BernieNUFC
Vectric Craftsman

Post by BernieNUFC »

Some great help there many thanks, does look like i need to change the way i do it :)
VCarve Pro v9.012

WaltS
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot 2418 - Spindle - ScottP Spoilbrd

Post by WaltS »

I ripped out the carpet and put down laminate. :mrgreen:

Seriously, I don 't even try to network for this. I have an external hard drive networked between two older computers. I couldn't even tell you how I managed that several years ago. It works, most of the time. But when I recently got a new computer I didn't even try to connect it to the hard drive. Im running out of hair to pull out. Likewise, the control computer in the garage shop is all by its lonesome. I walk the files between the house and garage and it "always" works, except when I forget the USB drive, usually remembering about the time I open the garage door. :roll:

I did, way back a whole year ago, put VCP on the shop control computer, just in case. I have very seldom used it to change a file.

And, I could always use the exercise. :lol:

One other note, when I first started I was told and read many posts about DO NOT connect your control computer to a network, WIFI, etc. You will suffer dire consequences otherwise. So I didn't. So far so good.

gkas, curious how you do the shared CNC folder? Do you use a workgroup or what?

BernieNUFC
Vectric Craftsman

Post by BernieNUFC »

Hi Walt

Trouble is her indoors is getting cheesed with the amount of times i walk past :D i keep telling her as i get more experienced so the mistakes get less 8)

Anyway i just created a homegroup and that was it, i am going to try out the network through the mains supply and ditch the wifi, it works great at work 1000mbs sec and only a cable to the plug :-)

Cheers
VCarve Pro v9.012