Im looking for some tips on making a cool sign

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
kp91
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Digital Wood Carver

Re: Im looking for some tips on making a cool sign

Post by kp91 »

Daner wrote:
I cant understand why you cant set the cut depth in this tool path.
It looks like the depth is automaticly set?
One sign I did with 4" letters turned out great, it v carved to aprox .25
Then I did a 8" x 14" and the letters just barely came through.

V carve depths are figured by a combination of bit angle and the distance between the 2 vectors you are carving. For example, a 90 degree bit will cut much shallower than a 30 degree bit for the same vector. That is why it is important to play with some different size bits and the same font to see what looks best.
Doug
1 John 1:9
Fredericksburg, VA

Daner
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Industrial 8x4

Post by Daner »

kp91 wrote:
Daner wrote:
I cant understand why you cant set the cut depth in this tool path.
It looks like the depth is automaticly set?
One sign I did with 4" letters turned out great, it v carved to aprox .25
Then I did a 8" x 14" and the letters just barely came through.

V carve depths are figured by a combination of bit angle and the distance between the 2 vectors you are carving. For example, a 90 degree bit will cut much shallower than a 30 degree bit for the same vector. That is why it is important to play with some different size bits and the same font to see what looks best.

Thanks, that explains it very well.

Im going to order a 30 degree V bit now.
Also a engraving bit for doing a logo on wood.
Any tips on a few engraving bits for this?
My new bit that I havent tried yet is a upcut spiral ball nose - 3/16

Cheers
Danny

kp91
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Digital Wood Carver

Post by kp91 »

I really enjoy Centurion Tool V-Bits.

They are a local company to me, and I've been able to visit their shop and see them made. These bits have done well in Corian and hard woods with no problems.

https://www.centuriontools.com/router-b ... rve%20Bits

I reviewed them on another forum a while back

http://www.routerforums.com/tool-review ... ost1271401
Doug
1 John 1:9
Fredericksburg, VA

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

I wouldn't rush out & buy a 30 deg bit just now. If you are using vcarve toolpaths then as has already been explained it will depend on the spacing between the vectors which is going to change as the size of the text changes.
Your best bet is to have a play with the software & see for yourself. The good thing about the toolpath preview is that you can try all sorts of things without it costing you anything but a bit of time :lol: :lol:
You can try vcarving your text using different angled cutters & decide what bits you would like to buy rather than buy the bits & then find they aren't really suitable for anything you want to do. Just to give you an idea I have engraving bits from 10 degrees up to 130 degrees with flats ranging from 0.1mm up to 3mm.

Not sure if you have used your 1/4" tapered ballnose yet but that again will depend on what size you are wanting to carve the 3D models. On small models with lots of detail a 1/4" ballnose is going to be to big for a finishing cut because it can't machine the detail required :lol: :lol:

Daner
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Industrial 8x4

Post by Daner »

martin54 wrote:I wouldn't rush out & buy a 30 deg bit just now. If you are using vcarve toolpaths then as has already been explained it will depend on the spacing between the vectors which is going to change as the size of the text changes.
Your best bet is to have a play with the software & see for yourself. The good thing about the toolpath preview is that you can try all sorts of things without it costing you anything but a bit of time :lol: :lol:
You can try vcarving your text using different angled cutters & decide what bits you would like to buy rather than buy the bits & then find they aren't really suitable for anything you want to do. Just to give you an idea I have engraving bits from 10 degrees up to 130 degrees with flats ranging from 0.1mm up to 3mm.

Not sure if you have used your 1/4" tapered ballnose yet but that again will depend on what size you are wanting to carve the 3D models. On small models with lots of detail a 1/4" ballnose is going to be to big for a finishing cut because it can't machine the detail required :lol: :lol:
I did use the ball nose bit today
It's actually 3/16" but still probably a tad to big for fine details
I used it to 3D carve the Arabian dished horse in the Clip art folder
I was amazed to see that being carved on my 4x8
I will try that tool preview with different bits thanks for that tip .

Danny