Saving 3D tool paths together

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
Hitch
Vectric Apprentice

Saving 3D tool paths together

Post by Hitch »

In carving rosettes ( 2.75" sq.) I'm using the same bit for the rough and finish. So, I saved the tool paths together. The first one, the rough was completed, then the finish. Great- second, a different one was the opposite, finish then rough. So, is there an option in the program to force rough then finish, or do always need two tool paths.

Ron

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Re: Saving 3D tool paths together

Post by martin54 »

what order did you select them in when saving ? Not completely sure how the software works but thinking when you were selecting the toolpaths to save you may have selected the finish toolpath before the roughing toolpath on the second one you did.
When outputting multiple toolpaths I always make sure the toolpath list is in the order I want them to cut before selecting them to save :lol: :lol:

Hitch
Vectric Apprentice

Post by Hitch »

I think I may have figured it out. The tool path tree that is developed, is the order of cutting. I've been doing a lot of editing etc. and though I have only two tool paths, the finish was at the top of the tree. Going to try it out to make sure. I'll get back with an answer.

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

What I said then only shorter & clearer :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: -CarveWright CNC -ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha

Post by mtylerfl »

Ron,

I think you are ok if you simply save your toolpaths using the same bit as long as your toolpath list is in the correct order (as you already realized).

However, if you use the Merge Toolpath feature in the software, then the order of cut is not guaranteed to maintain the order you have in your list. I will only use Merge Toolpaths when cutting order is not important/essential.

One of the monthly projects I designed (the Letterpress Print Block Mirror - Jan 2015) was originally intended to demonstrate the Merge Toolpath feature. However, since cutting order was very important, I was not able to use it due to cutting order being altered.
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC
-ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha CNC

Hitch
Vectric Apprentice

Post by Hitch »

You are exactly correct Martin54. Put your paths in order before saving. Thanks

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

In the release notes for the latest version there was a fix to ensure that the order of toolpaths was respected when using the By Part option of the Merge Toolpaths.