cut through material message

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
garylyb
Model of CNC Machine: axiom

cut through material message

Post by garylyb »

Is there any way to turn off the warning message that appears every single time I save a tool path that cuts through the material, or at least have it appear just once for the toolpath.

I find it really, really, really annoying, and the default on the box is cancel, so I can't even hit return to get around it.

I really can handle this task without the mindless nagging.

Gary

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Re: cut through material message

Post by adze_cnc »

One can imagine a future post if this was implemented:

"I'm so mad! I accidentally cut through my spoilboard into my machine bed because VCarve didn't warn me I was I was cutting too deep. Actually it did once but I'm so used to just pressing enter to get rid of it that I didn't notice it was going to cut too deep."

If you're cutting through plus a couple 1/1000ths of an inch could you not, while testing, set the value to "t" and when you are satisfied, change it to "t+0.002". Then you'd only get that warning once.

tomgardiner
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: FMT Patriot 4 x8

Post by tomgardiner »

Assuming you are cutting through a few thousandths. Why not toolpath at material depth and tweak your spoilboard thickness (if you are z-zeroing bottom).

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

If you use the recalculate all button rather than calculating the toolpaths from within their own dialogs then only the OK button is displayed which is the default.

I can't remember the last time I created and calculated a toolpath directly. I start every job from a template that already has toolpaths associated with vectors in it or I load toolpaths directly from toolpath templates. I expect that is the way most people who do lots of jobs work so that message is never really an issue but it's something that very definitely needs to be there as a double check.

garylyb
Model of CNC Machine: axiom

Post by garylyb »

I really don't need that double check, I can look at the preview and see that it cut through.

There should be an option under Edit - Options to turn it off.

That way everyone is happy. That would make the software better.

btw, artcam does not nag you, and people are not clamoring to have it warn you.

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

I don't really see it as a problem but can understand that sometimes things like this can be an annoyance to experienced users so the option to edit the message in the set up might be a possibility, if you email support & ask if an edit option could be included then it is something they would look at including as a future change. They do monitor the forum but always best to email them direct as well :lol:

Maybe owners of other software would like to see a warning but as they don't get one have never thought of it as a useful edition or change :lol: :lol:

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

Not wanting to speak for Vectric but their policy has always been to not have lots of different options to enable/disable warnings like some other software has as that just complicates things for users and for the tutorials.

I've used some software that has multiple tabs of options to turn settings on/off and the forums were full of people who were completely and utterly baffled by it all and moved to different software instead.

In the 10+ years I've been using the forum I can only remember a couple of posts complaining about the message but I can remember many where people have not understood why the message was telling them they would cut through the board by a large amount. Without it they would have potentially done some serious damage as the preview only showed that they were cutting through the board but not that they were cutting through it by several inches in some cases.

I can easily imagine someone who has done some profile cuts turning it off and then doing a VCarve for the first time, destroying their base etc and then slagging off Vectric all over the 'net because the software didn't warn them.

It's not what I would call a nag. That's something that appears continually when you're doing something else and takes several clicks to get rid off. This is a clear warning that appears in one specific place and takes one click to acknowledge.

As Martin says it's best to email support and register your request. This is primarily a user to user forum.