Model depth and thickness

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
Hitch
Vectric Apprentice

Model depth and thickness

Post by Hitch »

I'm experimenting with different models and I was wondering if it's possible to predict the depth that a model will be recessed and it's thickness. I understand with 3d if you just use the finishing portion it will be recessed to max depth. I've tried a couple different rosettes and they appear to be at different depths. The critical part seems to be when using the 3d roughing and step over - it might not calculate. I've watched the tutorial on this, but I'm missing something. Anyway I want some carvings to be just below the surface and some deep. Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Ron

highpockets
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: PDJ Pilot Pro

Re: Model depth and thickness

Post by highpockets »

You can set the exact height of the model in the Component Tree. Both the component and it's base height. The total of the base height and shape height is the Total Height of the component.

To set where the components are positioned in the material use the Material Setup on the Toolpath tab.
John
Maker of Chips

Hitch
Vectric Apprentice

Post by Hitch »

Thanks

garylmast
Vectric Wizard

Post by garylmast »

In your 3D View, you can scroll the mouse over the model and watch the bottom of the screen and you can see the Z height of the different depths. Also, under the modeling tab, if you highlight the component, then click the Crescent Wrench Icon, you can set a base height, or fade and tilt if necessary.

In a model of a bird I'm carving now, the wings tips that sloped to nothing didn't machine very well, so I added a base height to the component by a few millimeters, which gave it enough meat to carve better, and also gave it enough thickness to add tabs.

Gary