Profile toolpath issue single pass required

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
djcregan
Model of CNC Machine: Cnc Router with Linear ATC

Profile toolpath issue single pass required

Post by djcregan »

Hi
I was wondering if anyone had come across this issue and how to solve it.

I want to cut dado grooves in a single pass.
Unfortunately when I use the Dado gadget or if I import vectors creating the toolpath seems to create two passes shown like this <> on the 2d visual, however if I draw the line individually I can get a single pass as required shown like this >.

Is there a solution to solve this so that I can import vectors and just do a single pass cut as I have just check a sample and it definitely traverses back to the beginning of the cut before z axis lifts.

Thanks in anticipation

4DThinker
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Shark Pro, Probotix Meteor 25" x 50"

Re: Profile toolpath issue single pass required

Post by 4DThinker »

You didn't say what/where you got the vectors you imported. It sounds to me like the imported vector doubles back on itself. I often see this when I get files from my students who used Rhino to draw up their designs. They "look" like 2D vectors but are actually a vertical plane from which Vcarve discards the Z values to produce a line that doubles back on itself.

If you are using Version 9 there is a vector validator tool which might point this out when you use it.

4D

djcregan

Post by djcregan »

I said it happens with the Dado gadget in vcarve itself as well

4DThinker
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Shark Pro, Probotix Meteor 25" x 50"

Post by 4DThinker »

I've never used the dado gadget. It apparently reverses back assuming you might use a smaller bit than your desired dado width. Same problem as your imported vectors.

Try the "explode vectors" gadget on your dado gadget/imported vectors then use the validate tool to show you the extra line segments.

ger21
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Custom DIY

Post by ger21 »

djcregan wrote:
Is there a solution to solve this so that I can import vectors and just do a single pass cut as I have just check a sample and it definitely traverses back to the beginning of the cut before z axis lifts.
Yes, import single line vectors.
As 4D said, where are the vectors coming from, and how are they created?
Gerry - http://www.thecncwoodworker.com

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

There is a slight issue with the dado gadget in that the vector it creates for the toolpath does go back on itself. It's a bug that hasn't been picked up on since I originally wrote it 6 or so years ago. There is an extra append command which is making it go back on itself. I don't have access to change it myself so hopefully someone at Vectric will correct it at some point.

As has been said it sounds like your imported vectors have the same issue. The vector validator will pick up that issue and you can verify it by going into node edit and moving nodes until you can see where the overlap is. You need to sort that out in whichever program you are creating those vectors in really.

djcregan

Post by djcregan »

Hi Adrian
It was the dado creator I was most concerned about as I could work it out but now I know its a minor bug. I was looking for a quick way to convert my existing files to speed up the cutting, however I can do them manually.

Thanks for your input

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

It's a very simple fix if you know how to edit files in Windows. You need to go to the Public Documents\Vectric Files\Gadgets folder. Then go into the VCarve folder for your version. You should see a Dado_Toolpath_Creator folder there. Load the Dado_Toolpath_Creator.lua file into notepad or similar and look for the following lines:

Code: Select all

local contour = Contour(0.0)
	contour:AppendPoint(start_point)
	contour:LineTo(end_point)
	contour:LineTo(start_point)
Either delete the last line or put -- in front of it to disable it. Save the file and you should be good to go without double lines.