A project that is in inhes with Metric holes

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
Chrisp
Model of CNC Machine: Shark HD 5 extended

A project that is in inhes with Metric holes

Post by Chrisp »

Working on a project to use CNC to create the holes in small box that use Soss type hinges.
SOSS hinges are 8mm and 10mm but the rest of the material is 1/2 or 5/8 thick material.

Is it possible to put a 10mm hole inthe middle of a 5/8 piece wood?

highpockets
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: PDJ Pilot Pro

Re: A project that is in inhes with Metric holes

Post by highpockets »

How can I work with a drawing that has both metric and imperial measurements?

First, setup your project for the units you want (inches or mm). Then, when you are provided a measurement using the other units, you can use the program's ability to evaluate mathematical expressions in the data input boxes to quickly convert the measurement to the needed units.

To input a measurement given in inches to its metric equivalent, you would enter the inch value in the data input box, followed by '*m=' (without the quotes). For example, to enter 3 inches in mm, in the data input box you would type '3*m=', again without the quotes. As soon as you press the '=' key, the input value will change to the metric equivalent of 76.2 mm.

To input a measurement given in mm to its imperial equivalent, enter the mm value in the data input box followed by '*i=' (without the quotes). For example, to enter 130 mm in inches you would type '130*i=' in the data input box, again without the quotes. As soon as the '=' key is pressed, the input value will change to the imperial equivalent of 5.1181 inches.
John
Maker of Chips

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

Or if it's just your material size that is in imperial units set up a new job in inches, once you have set the job up & pressed OK go back into the job set up & change the units to mm, your inch values will be converted to metric equivalent :lol: :lol:

Chrisp
Model of CNC Machine: Shark HD 5 extended

Re: A project that is in inches with Metric holes

Post by Chrisp »

Thanks, the m*i= is just what I needed.

I'll be inthe shop later to test out the process

Pete

garylmast
Vectric Wizard

Post by garylmast »

Fraction - Decimal - mm table.pdf
(42.79 KiB) Downloaded 114 times
If I'm using Aspire, I use the conversion suggested by John and Martin all the time. However everywhere else, I've got that attached chart, with an icon to open it on my desktop and one that I've printed out, which I laminated and hangs on my shop wall. Useful if I don't have a calculator or my brain's not working.