Need help with .crv file

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
RobH063
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: 1000mm Xcarve

Need help with .crv file

Post by RobH063 »

I've had this issue before and posted asking for help and was able to resolve the issue that ended up being a problem within UGS. Admittedly, I haven't used VCarve or my Xcarve in several month's due to family health issues but now that things have settled down, it's time to get back to work. I was asked to do a simple job for a former co-worker. Make him several discs, 15 inches in diameter and 1.25 inches thick out of pine. Easy enough I thought. Now I'm having the same problem of the initial pass being way deeper than what it should be that I used to have. I looked up that old thread and made sure I did the fix I needed before with UGS but it's still cutting too deep. I've laso checked and re-adjusted my XCarve to make sure everything is correct with the machine itself. After setting my work Zero in UGS and starting the process, the first pass and subsequent passes should be .0488 until the job is finished but the first pass is approximately .25 inch deep. I would like someone to look at my .crv file but for some reason I can't upload it. My browser just keeps trying to connect to Vectric and nothing more happens. Does anyone have any suggestions for me? Thanks you!

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Re: Need help with .crv file

Post by martin54 »

Might be that your file is to big to upload, if that's the case then putting in in a dropbox account or similar place is really the best thing you can do, leaving out the toolpaths will reduce the size of the file but that would probably defeat the point of posting in the first place.
Have you had a look at the pass depths to see if there is anything in there to explain what is going on ? On the toolpath tab have a look at the edit passes, the info on the number of passes & what depth each pass is will be in there.

Does your control software have an offset that is causing the first pass to be deeper, I am assuming you have zeroed you bit correctly :lol: :lol:

RobH063
Vectric Craftsman

Post by RobH063 »

Thanks for the reply MArtin. I have uploaded the .crv file to my Google Drive account. Here is the link. Hopefully that works. https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B25Ihn ... sp=sharing
The first pass is set to .0488 inch as are each of the rest of the 25 additional passes. My work Zero is set correctly and I have some other help from a great guy on the Inventables site going through the grbl settings, and testing different things within the Universal Gcode Sender I've been using but I don't know if he's proficient in the use of VCarve so I thought I would ask here. So far, everything we've done gives the same result. The end Mill plunges about .25 inch into the workpiece, and then on each subsequent pass, things go as they should. It's just the initial plunge and pass. I would like to eliminate anything as the possible problem so I thought if someone can look at my file and it looks ok, I can focus my attention on either my machine or the UGS.

scottp55
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopbotDesktop 5.5"Z/spindle/VCP11.5

Post by scottp55 »

Pass depths look fine in the .crv Rob.
scott
Attachments
2017-09-18 20_48_53-Settings .0488inch first pass.jpg
I've learned my lesson well. You can't please everyone,so you have to please yourself
R.N.

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

Don't think it should matter if he is proficient with vcarve or not, once you have saved it as code it should be the same as if it had come from any other cam software I believe although to be honest I know very little about that side of things :oops:
Don't know how the universal gcode sender works but if it just generates normal gcode then posting the gcode file might help as there are experts on here who read gcode who would be able to tell you what the code was telling the machine to do :lol: :lol:

RobH063
Vectric Craftsman

Post by RobH063 »

Please forgive me for not replying sooner. I'm experiencing internet issues and haven't been able to connect to the vectric website. Strange but it has something to do with my Netgear router. I will be replacing it and I will be back once I have this issue resolved. Again, I apologize.

Leo
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 1300 x 1300 x 254 Chinese Made

Post by Leo »

Where is your "Z" zero set?

How thick is the part?
Imagine the Possibilities of a Creative mind, combined with the functionality of CNC

RobH063
Vectric Craftsman

Post by RobH063 »

Ok. Internet problem resolved. So here's where I'm at. My machine (X-Carve) has been re-calibrated to eliminate that being the problem. Using the Easel software that comes with the machine, I can cut a circle just fine. No plunging of the end mill too deep on the first pass. Everything goes like it should. Using VCarve and Universal Gcode Sender, the problem persists. Since my .CRV file is fine, it has to be either the gcode generated by VCarve isn't liked by my Machine's electronics or the way UGS is sending the code to the machine, possibly altering it somewhat. What I have learned is that when VCarve creates the gcode, the first line I get is T1 for Tool no. 1 and other times in files I have seen T1M6 as the first line of code. I believe that has to do with tool changes? I have never done tool changes in a carve so I'm at a loss.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

Look at the gcode. It should be pretty clear what the first depth it cuts to is.

highpockets
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: PDJ Pilot Pro

Post by highpockets »

What post processor are you using to create the gcode?
John
Maker of Chips

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

I though this all sounded familiar. You had a long thread with the same issue before and I thought it had been resolved?

http://forum.vectric.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=24203

RobH063
Vectric Craftsman

Post by RobH063 »

Adrian, I did have an issue before that was similar. You obviously didn't read my initial post where I indicated that the fix before didn't work for this issue. I apologize to this forum for having a similar but different issue. I won't bother you any further. I guess my issue is too trivial to help with but important enough to be sarcastic.

Mike-S
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Joe's Hybrid 4x4 (but 3x3)

Post by Mike-S »

I missed the sarcasm. Must be hidden in with the help people are offering. :roll:
When things don't go the way you want and frustration sets in, lots of people here are more than willing to offer assistance. It helps neither you nor them if you jump down their throat when they didn't immediately solve YOUR problem.

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Post by adze_cnc »

Had you editted your original post for readability perhaps Adrian might not have missed that you had tried the fix mentioned in the previous thread. I missed it as well. Many posts I find can benefit from a double-check by the poster to get across the crux of the problem.

Perhaps we can start again to evaluate your concerns with the following edit:
I was asked to do a simple job for a former co-worker. He wants several discs, 15 inches in diameter and 1.25 inches thick, cut out of pine---easy enough I thought.

I'm having a problem where the initial pass is being cut much deeper than it should be. I've had this issue before and posted here asking for help. I was able to resolve that issue; it ended up being a problem within the UGS.

I looked up that old thread and made sure I did the fix I had needed before with the UGS but it's still cutting too deep. I've also checked and re-adjusted my XCarve to make sure everything is correct with the machine itself.

A summary of the problem is: after setting my work Zero in UGS and starting the process, all passes should be .0488 for the job but the first pass is actually cutting approximately .25 inch deep.

I would like someone to look at my .crv file but for some reason I can't upload it. My browser just keeps trying to connect to Vectric and nothing more happens.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Thank you!
My immediate thoughts also were to compare the g-code from Easel (if it is acccessible) with the g-code from VCarve and to verify which post-processor in VCarve that you are using.

RobH063
Vectric Craftsman

Post by RobH063 »

This isn't frustration. I found the post in quotes below to not be of any help whatsoever and to sound sarcastic. Maybe it wasn't and I misinterpreted it.

"I though this all sounded familiar. You had a long thread with the same issue before and I thought it had been resolved?

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=24203"

I also indicated in my original post that I had already done what the solution was before making this post.

I'm sorry you couldn't understand what I wrote.