Cypress Wood

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
Barry Anderson
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Shark

Cypress Wood

Post by Barry Anderson »

I am about to use cypress wood for the first time. Will be using a 90* v-bit. Any suggestions and/or advice from someone with cypress wood experience?

Thanks for any and all help/advice.

Barry Anderson

NormanAlbert
Vectric Wizard

Re: Cypress Wood

Post by NormanAlbert »

A sharp bit, dry wood, cuts nice. Watch feed and speed. You've got varying densities so try for a happy medium. Norm

Barry Anderson
Vectric Craftsman

Post by Barry Anderson »

Any advice for bit speed and feed rate?
Thanks
Barry

WaltS
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot 2418 - Spindle - ScottP Spoilbrd

Post by WaltS »

I was hoping for an answer to this too. I have some cypress pieces that a lumber yard gave me to try and I haven't gotten to them yet. Cypress and cedar are supposed to be a lot alike and cedar is one of my main woods, so my starting point would be to use my cedar settings. Caveat being there are many kinds of cedar and some carve much better than others. Anyway I had done a lot of research on carving cedar and the consensus I found was high RPM and medium to high feed rates. I generally use 17000 RPM at around 90 IPM with 1/8 and 1/4 inch V bits with good success. So there's my guesstimate for maybe a starting point. Hope that help some.

Barry Anderson
Vectric Craftsman

Post by Barry Anderson »

Thanks Walt. That is just a little slower feed rate than I normally use. But about 5,000 rpm higher. It does give me a starting point. I will post results this weekend.
Thanks for your help.
Barry

Barry Anderson
Vectric Craftsman

Post by Barry Anderson »

Well, I finally got the opportunity to cut the cypress wood sign. After reading the replies from Norm and Walt, (thanks again) I used a new 90* v-bit, 100 ipm feed rate, and 17,000 rpm. I was very pleased with the result. Just a little to do on the laser, and it will be ready to deliver. I was hoping to post the results last week, but missed
1 1/2 weeks due to a minor accident in the shop. Went in with 10 fingers, came out with 10. Just 2 banged up a bit. Hope my experience with the cypress helps someone else. This forum continues to be a great resource. Thanks to all who take time to help others.

Barry Anderson

mikeacg
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger, Sidewinder, SB 4x4

Post by mikeacg »

Barry,

I look forward to seeing some pictures when you heal a bit! Thanks!

Mike

WaltS
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot 2418 - Spindle - ScottP Spoilbrd

Post by WaltS »

Barry, I'm glad my info was helpful. After all the questions I've asked over the last year I'm glad I could actually provide something useful to someone else. I did forget to mention sharp bits help also, but you mentioned you used a new bit.

Glad you still have 10 fingers. I have a buddy who just a few weeks ago came out with 9-1/2. Be careful out there!