Tiny Chinese Tapered Ball Nose (continued)

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
scottp55
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopbotDesktop 5.5"Z/spindle/VCP11.5

Post by scottp55 »

This is related to the original thread;
http://forum.vectric.com/viewtopic.php? ... se#p191644

And I bought the ones Randall showed;
[/url]http://www.ebay.com/itm/R0-25-0-5-0-75- ... SwEzxYXyJe[/url]

I can only say for these bits, but I've been playing...and they're performing better than I thought, and was thinking to post some pics and info as we all like actual pictures of results :)

Primarily using the smallest of the four in the set which is the .25mm Radius;
9.2.17 CHINESE .25MM R TBN.jpg
They're not as delicate as you would think, as I DROVE one full length into Hard Maple by mucking up where I Z'd an offset toolpath of Mike S's "Moon" he was kind enough to make for me....other than having to remove the smoke/carbon from it...no damage under my 10X loupe visible:)
MOON OOPS 2 CH TBN.jpg
I did a couple of Tiny "Moons" just to judge feeds/speeds/stepover, and then set the bits aside till this week.

The first real test was a .26" deep "Celtic Dragon" by Michael Mezalick in Claro Walnut and I loved it!
I cheated the Z down in .1" increments, and did a couple lines of the file, then dropped in .1" increments repeating, until I was at original Z.
(It's easy with Shopbot's M(ove) N(udge) X,Y,Z axis Zeroes, and R(eplay) R(ecent) comand....not sure if Mach has comparable?)

Claro was raster cut (in IPS) at 1.5,1.5, 16K at 3% stepover against the grain as just a finishing toolpath as the file just cut stepover, and didn't jump around.
9.10.17 CLARO DRAGON UNTOUCHED 1.jpg
9.10.17 CLARO DRAGON UNTOUCHED 2.jpg
9.10.17 CLARO DRAGON UNTOUCHED CLOSEUP SCALES.jpg
All pictures are straight off the machine, with nothing but a blast of 90PSI, and a medium stiff brushing.
Last edited by scottp55 on Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I've learned my lesson well. You can't please everyone,so you have to please yourself
R.N.

Leo
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 1300 x 1300 x 254 Chinese Made

Re: Tiny Chinese Tapered Ball Nose (continued)

Post by Leo »

Thank you Scott - nice write up.

It's really amazing how much bang we can get for the buck with the Chinese cutters.
Imagine the Possibilities of a Creative mind, combined with the functionality of CNC

LittleGreyMan
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 3 axis small size machine

Post by LittleGreyMan »

Scott,

I am always amazed by your work on tiny parts. Very detailed work. Thanks for the feedback regarding this small tapered mill.
Best regards

Didier

W7 - Aspire 8.517

highpockets
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: PDJ Pilot Pro

Post by highpockets »

Scott, thanks for the detailed write up. I bought the same bits.
John
Maker of Chips

scottp55
Vectric Wizard

Post by scottp55 »

The Claro was a test for a slightly larger Bubinga one that is cutting right now.

But wanted to play with side by side models for feeds/speeds/direction of cut for the smallest bit again.
So grabbed a model of a Lion(.5" Depth which is about max for this bit) I've had for months, found a 20 yr old scrap of Cherry from house interior trim that had 4 coats of Linseed on it.
9.12.17 CHERRY LION TEST BOTH CHINESE .25MMR TBN.jpg
Top cut was first, and I upped things to (IPS) 2,2,16K 6%stepover doing an offset toolpath in conventional cut...no roughing, and it took the initial .18" Plunge with no problem in the Cherry.
9.12.17 CHERRY LION TOP 2,2,16K 6% OFFSET CONVENTIONAL.jpg
The results looked VERY slightly rough to me(but I was comparing it against the Claro cut), so I cut the bottom one at (IPS) 1.5, 1.5, 17K 3%stepover with a Climb cut.
17K at 1.5IPS was either not aggressive enough, OR the 20 year old Linseed gummed up the bit...as at 3/8" depth the flutes had dust/oil packing the flutes:(
9.12.17 CHERRY LION BOTTOM 1.5,1.5,17K 3% OFFSET CLIMB.jpg
Under my 3X visor...I can see virtually no difference between the cuts!
Just my machine results.

Bubinga Celtic Dragon is cutting now at 1.5, 1.5, 16K and 4% stepover and has 5 hours to go. Cheated the Z down again...so only a finish toolpath.
Fingers crossed! Dust foot is on so I can't see any of it, but had good chips and a cool bit after running a few lines at each depth.
scott
I've learned my lesson well. You can't please everyone,so you have to please yourself
R.N.

scottp55
Vectric Wizard

Post by scottp55 »

OK...First, it may NOT be Bubinga as It sure as heck feels like it will sink in water...Bubinga floats with max specific gravity of .89 according to Wood Database.
It was labeled "Bubinga" by a Scottish shortpipe maker when he gifted me about a dozen chunks of exotics, and I asked him to label them so I wouldn't forget.

I'll chuck it in water after eyes and orb stones are glued in and I seal it, and that will narrow species down.

Anywho.....cut with the .25mmR Chinese TBN again, at IPS 1.5, 1.5, 16K at 4% stepover.
Cheated on the Z again for this .36" deep model, and then just the finish toolpath.
Pics don't do the finish justice though...it's virtually ready to go after just a light brushing with a medium stiff brush, and a blast of air.
Looking forward to oiling it:)
9.13.17 DRAGON ON MACHINE UNTOUCHED.jpg
9.13.17 DRAGON UNTOUCHED 1.jpg
9.13.17 DRAGON UNTOUCHED.jpg
9.13.17 DRAGON UNTOUCHED DETAILS TOP 1.jpg
9.13.17 DRAGON UNTOUCHED DETAILS MIDDLE 1.jpg
9.13.17 DRAGON UNTOUCHED DETAILS BOTTOM 1.jpg
R.N.

Leo
Vectric Wizard

Post by Leo »

Scott

I LOVE the Lion model - were did you get that?
Imagine the Possibilities of a Creative mind, combined with the functionality of CNC

scottp55
Vectric Wizard

Post by scottp55 »

Funny Leo:)
I bought that to make key fobs as soon as it was certain you were having the "Meet and Greet".....Leo...Lion. :D
But then Michael was coming, and he made that neat Celtic Dragon...so my "Friendly Lion" model took a nap:)
Pretty sure it was Newstyle27 on E-Bay, but I'll log on tomorrow and dig it out.

Oh...no pics of the Meet and Greet people? My ugly mug broke your camera? :) :)
Photoshop me out so people's monitors don't crack...but please post some pics?

I did do a test cut of that Lion using a 30 engraving bit with a .01" flat, keyfob size,but a knot that barely showed on the surface GREW:( I would have had to flatten the model too much for key fob stock as well. Those 2 Cherry test cuts were .5" deep when sized proportionally.
That model is fairly deep.
3.25.17 LION .9 INCH 3.jpg
R.N.

scottp55
Vectric Wizard

Post by scottp55 »

Leo...You have a PM. :)
R.N.

Beltramidave
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: FLA Saturn 4x4 / 7W & 60W lasers

Post by Beltramidave »

Truly amazing detail, Scott!
Dave
https://lakesedgewoodcraft.com/

Leo
Vectric Wizard

Post by Leo »

scottp55 wrote:Oh...no pics of the Meet and Greet people? My ugly mug broke your camera? Photoshop me out so people's monitors don't crack...but please post some pics?
No broken camera. Just my level of procrastination. The MEET & GREET was in my opinion a FANTASTIC day.

I will get a posting up - soon? :lol:

Bobtail Farm
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Homemade

Post by Bobtail Farm »

leo:
Indeed it was a great and enjoyable day and meeting. Thanks for hosting.

scott:
I look forward to trying out those bits.

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

Scott as usual terrific work, do you need to go that low with the stepover ? I know most of my 3d models are carved much larger than yours & don't know if the increase in size makes a difference but I have been running those Chinese TBN bits at between 6 -8% stepover with good results, different wood species to yours as well which I guess will also make a difference :lol: :lol:
My 0.25r bit hasn't done that much work but the 0.75r has done quite a bit now & seems to be holding up well :lol: , broke the 0.5r but that was a silly mistake :oops: , still have one left though as I bought 2 sets of the bits at the same time :lol: :lol:

Scott, if I had been there you wouldn't have had to worry about breaking the camera, trust me my picture would make you look like a male model :lol: :lol: :lol:

Bob T
Model of CNC Machine: Shark HD 520

Post by Bob T »

Gotta love this forum. All help and no ego issues. WOW!

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

Bob T wrote:Gotta love this forum. All help and no ego issues. WOW!
Sorry but I have ego issues, mine is nowhere near BIG enough :lol: :lol: