My CPU Died, Got a new machine need some HELP

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
DocRock
Model of CNC Machine: SmartShop II 5x10

My CPU Died, Got a new machine need some HELP

Post by DocRock »

Aloha All,

My shop computer died prematurely after only months, I finally got Lenovo to send me a new one but I want to copy my old tool database and post file to the new install of Vcarve. I have both 8.5 and 9.0.

Can someone please tell me the file locations so as I may copy them to new machine. I have removed the old HD from the dead machine and mounted in an external case.

Mahalo,
Doc

highpockets
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: PDJ Pilot Pro

Re: My CPU Died, Got a new machine need some HELP

Post by highpockets »

Look in C:\Program Data\Vectric\VCarve\V8.5 or V9.0. Don't have VCarve so my fold names may be a bit off, but you get the idea.

If the hard drive is good, why not just put it in the new computer?
John
Maker of Chips

DocRock
Model of CNC Machine: SmartShop II 5x10

Post by DocRock »

Thanks I’ll look there.

I didn’t just swap drives because new one has Fast SSD drive.

highpockets
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: PDJ Pilot Pro

Post by highpockets »

DocRock wrote:Thanks I’ll look there.

I didn’t just swap drives because new one has Fast SSD drive.
Good reason. If your shop computer is like mine it just runs the CNC and there isn't much on it, but if you have a bunch of other stuff on it, you might consider cloning your old drive to your new one. Much quicker than having to setup a new computer. I know I've spent the last week setup my new office laptop!!! :oops: :oops:
John
Maker of Chips

dwilli9013
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 3 axis Self Designed Self Built

Post by dwilli9013 »

I have removed the old HD from the dead machine and mounted in an external case.

If the above is the case why not just leave that drive as a dedicated drive and run it as a slave on your new laptop.
You could boot into it whenever you want to run you machine and also when you want to run The Vectric software.
What I did is removed the CD drive from my laptop and replaced it with hard drive adapter. Went in and partitioned the drive removed all uneeded program files and junk.
Now I have a drive that is dedicated to running solely Aspire and a ton of storage space for all of my files pictures and drawings. Bonus is I can switch back over to the laptop main hard drive and do other media type things and mostly keep all the junk off of my dedicated drive. :lol: :lol: :lol:
D-Dub
Dwayne
Dwilli