Molding profile question...

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
zaxis
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Axiom AR4 V5 Pro

Molding profile question...

Post by zaxis »

I want to use the molding profile tool to put an edge on a closed rectangular rail. I obviously need to carve it with a ball nose tool. Is a clearance area needed where the profile ends on the outer edges. It seems like if I don't do something there will be rubbing as the curve gradually turns down into the material. The tutorial does not mention doing so. It is an Ogee type profile.

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: -CarveWright CNC -ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha

Re: Molding profile question...

Post by mtylerfl »

You may want to specify an offset when you setup the moulding toolpath (if I'm understanding what you're asking). That way the ballnose can be sure to cut the full profile by making room for it to go beyond the outside edge. Similar to a standard raster carve - set an offset by an amount sufficient to allow the bit to carve the full model around the outside.

Remember that the moulding toolpath will always place the profile you create on the Outside of a closed vector. If the existing rectangle is your finished size, then you'll need to create another vector inside of it that is offset by the width of the profile you have drawn (maybe you already have done this). The Inside vector is the one that you'll sweep your profile along.
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC
-ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha CNC

mezalick
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Cobra

Post by mezalick »

Another option on the closed rectangular shape would be to cut the vector in two, along teo straight side.
Then you can have the option to choose the inside or outside of those two open vectors..

Y'all know my motto,,,"three answers to every question".

Michael
Michael Mezalick
https://www.youtube.com/user/mezalick
mm@mezalick.com

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: -CarveWright CNC -ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha

Post by mtylerfl »

True, Michael! I was going to mention that but avoided it so as not to confuse. However, it's also good that folks know there are other options.

I was also thinking about mentioning "no leg" on the straight side of the ogee profile, but decided to wait to see if the OP understood that already or not. We'll see!
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC
-ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha CNC

zaxis
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Axiom AR4 V5 Pro

Post by zaxis »

Thanks guys for your help. If I am understanding correctly the clearance is set within the setup of the molding tool parameters dialog box. The idea being the ball nose tool is not scraping against the waste stock as you are cutting down in the profile. I have eliminated the straight lines on the Ogee. I can see that they are not needed. Is the clearance usually about half the tool diameter?

mezalick
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Cobra

Post by mezalick »

I set my clearance just a bit more then the tool diameter..
.25 tool would be a .26 - .3 depending on the next tool if used..

Michael

PS Michael T,,,,yes , it's always an interesting issue to post just enough info without overloading.....but in the end, with practice, it becomes natural..
Thanks for you insight.
~M
Michael Mezalick
https://www.youtube.com/user/mezalick
mm@mezalick.com