text and work on machine 90 deg to drawing

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
tricky
Model of CNC Machine: pirahna fx/xl

text and work on machine 90 deg to drawing

Post by tricky »

Very new to vcarve and cnc finally watched enough tutorials to do drawing and toolpaths using thumbdrive everything looks good however the text and rectangles etc are cutting opposite from drawing in other words my x is cutting across the work and y lengthwise

FixitMike
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shark Pro Plus (retired)

Re: text and work on machine 90 deg to drawing

Post by FixitMike »

The X, Y axes are with respect to someone standing at the end of the machine. X is movement across the gantry, and Y is gantry movement. lt is a somewhat arbitrary designation and what the manufacturer has chosen. My Next Wave CNC is that way and it was purchased in 2011.

There is a way to change this on some machines, but it is not intuitive.
Good judgement comes from experience.
Experience comes from bad judgement.

tricky
Model of CNC Machine: pirahna fx/xl

Post by tricky »

This is a next wave also, Can you reverse your x and y on the drawing to perform a 10 x 18 project ??

FixitMike
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shark Pro Plus (retired)

Post by FixitMike »

I'm not familiar with the software provided with the Piranha. But with regular VCarve, you can set the material X and Y as you wish, and draw what you want to carve. Then re-dimension the material to suit the machine, rotate the vectors 90 degrees to suit how they will fit the material, and then, on the menu bar, click Toolpaths, Recalculate all Toolpaths.

Note that if you try to edit any text after you rotate, they will revert to horizontal and lose any kerning you have done.
Good judgement comes from experience.
Experience comes from bad judgement.