Best method to duplicate job?

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
redneck1210
Model of CNC Machine: CRP4896

Best method to duplicate job?

Post by redneck1210 »

a friend of mine has a logo that he wants me to cut out for him. Currently I have the complete job set up for the prototype piece which is going to be 6 x 6 in. However, he has already told me that once he starts "ordering" these from me he will need them in different sizes. For instance 6x6, 10x10, 24x24 etc. In other words, he will call me and say "cut me (5) 12 inch ones and (10) 6 inch ones."

What is the best method for me to manage the master file? Should I just use toolpath templates? If so, what is the exact process to do so for my scenario?
Attachments
fiction logo.crv
(275 KiB) Downloaded 122 times

highpockets
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: PDJ Pilot Pro

Re: Best method to duplicate job?

Post by highpockets »

It's a simple design that will scale easily.

If you know the sizes he will order in future, just use the Set Selected Object Size in the Transfer tools, recalculate the tool paths and same them to a folder for the specific size.

If you won't know the exact size until he places the order, the procedure is the same you just can't prepare in advance.
John
Maker of Chips

dhellew2
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Legacy Artisan 72 and AVID CNC Rotary

Post by dhellew2 »

There is always more than one way to do your job but I would use the Set Selected Object Size tool to get the desired size for each logo
Next I would save the file with the size as part of the file name
When I do this type of stuff I start the file name with the same word so they are grouped together... saves time when searching for them

MORE THAN LIKELY EACH ONE WILL HAVE A DIFFERENT TOOL PATH REQUIREMENT
The type of cut will determine the tool path... ie v-carve, v-carve on the line, pocket, etc
The cut and cutter may be different for each size logo

Dale
You will get old if you live long enough!
Young = time, no money
Old = money, no time
Dale

redneck1210
Model of CNC Machine: CRP4896

Post by redneck1210 »

Sorry, I probably wasn't clear. I understand the part about resizing for each job, however I was more asking about replicating the toolpaths for the number of pieces he orders. Say for instance I have a 6 inch save file and he orders 5 one time and then 15 the next. I would ideally like to open the 6 inch Vcarve file, set the job dimensions and then essentially say copy toolpaths for the number of 6 inch pieces he orders. The way I do it now is copy the entire design as many times as needed and then manually select all the vectors that are associated with each toolpath.

I guess my dilemma is more related to the varying numbers of parts ordered rather than the number of files. Hope this makes sense.

gkas
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Aspire, Axiom AR8 Pro+, Axiom 4.2W Laser

Post by gkas »

If you have Vcarve Pro or Aspire, you can use the Array Copy Toolpath.

eph210
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Stinger 1 and Mabel, both with 4 axis

Post by eph210 »

Instead of manually selecting the vectors, when you set up the single 6 inch job, place the vectors on layers and associate them with the toolpaths. Then, when you copy the project 15 times, you just have to click recalculate and it is done. This video might help:
http://support.vectric.com/tips-and-tri ... ideo_id=34

Euan