pdf import bitmap not vectors..

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
RobSm
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Chinese 6090

pdf import bitmap not vectors..

Post by RobSm »

Hi.
I open a pdf file using import vectors option, but I don't get any vectors but a bitmap.

Using the create vectors from bitmap would be very very tiresome as the drawing is somewhat busy and it's a plan and so I'd rather not lose the precision.

But can anyone explain why a pdf file would open as a bitmap rather than as vectors?

Thanks,
Rob.

Rcnewcomb
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: 24x36 GCnC/WinCNC with ATC

Re: pdf import bitmap not vectors..

Post by Rcnewcomb »

As easy way to see if your PDF file contains vector or bitmap content is to open it in Adobe Reader and magnify the drawing to more than 800%. If you see smooth curves and straight lines, it’s a vector file and the conversion results will be much easier. If what you see on screen looks jagged, ragged or pixelated, it is a bitmap file.

Regarding why it might be bitmap vs. vectors, it depends on the source, and the tools that were used to create the PDF file. Here is a brief write-up: Understanding the PDF file format – How Are Images Stored
- Randall Newcomb
10 fingers in, 10 fingers out, another good day in the shop

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

The reason it is importing as a bitmap is because it is a bitmap :lol: :lol:

Some file formats such as jpeg, BMP, Tiff are bitmap formats & will only ever contain bitmap data.
Other formats such as PDF, EPS contain vector data, bitmap data or a combination vector & bitmap data

Just because a file says it is PDF or EPS format don't assume it will contain vector data :lol: :lol: :lol:

RobSm
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Chinese 6090

Post by RobSm »

Thanks for clarifying..

Regards,
Rob.